New helmet time...

Rhod81
Rhod81 Posts: 116
edited September 2012 in MTB buying advice
Hi all.

After a crash on my morning commute the other week, and using my head as the main method of stopping, I'm now in the market for a new helmet. However, after being out of the mountain biking loop now for a few years, I'm a little out of touch with the current crop of helmets.

I have always gone for the xc-race style, aerodynamic, lots of vents options. Mainly as they were really the only options for me at the time. Nowadays there seem to be more choice.

I have been looking at the likes of the Urge Enduro Matic and wondering if this style would be appropriate for my uses. Mainly I ride a few miles each day commute, but the extent of my mountain biking nowadays is the likes of the red at Llandegla (I.e.10-15 miles XC). I think the helmet would be quite good for the icy winter mornings with its extra coverage, but are the few vents sufficient for general use??? Last time I looked at helmets, this style was more reserved for the likes of jumping about.

Any opinions would be appreciated :-D

Comments

• I picked up an urge endur-o-matic a few days ago. i've not been for a ride with it yet, but from wearing it for an hour or so around the house its very comfortable. definitely worth looking into. getting the right fit might be a bit of an issue as it doesn't have an adjustable thing at the back. its more like a pisspot with a visor on the front. very comfortable for me though.
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    I'll say the same thing that I say in every helmet thread. Get to your LBS and try some on!! The most important thing about a helmet is fit, and I'm not just talking size, a lot of them are shaped very differently, as we all have slightly different shaped bonces.

Anyway, yeah the current crop of trail helmets is really good, and there's loads to choose from. They look a bit better than normal XC type lids and supposedly offer better protection, I just like them because they look cool. I have a Fox Flux and love it, 661 make a similar lid for a little less, Giro do a few (they started the trail lid thing really) and there's a few more out there. I reckon the Urge one looks a little daft, but that's your call. Best thing to do - go and try them on!!
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5