CRAMP!

Teece
Teece Posts: 138
edited September 2012 in Road beginners
Requesting ways to prevent cramp on 50+ mile rides. It spoiled the last sportive I did, and I don't want it to spoil my first century ride.

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    Hydrate! Make sure you take on enough water and electrolytes dehydration and loss of salt is the main cause of cramps.
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • adm1
    adm1 Posts: 180
    What he said - make sure to add some electrolytic powder to your drinks bottles. You can buy tablets and powder (High 5, Nuun etc.....) with or without carbs that you can just drop in. Apparently you can also make your own through adding sugar and salt to your bottles, butI don't know the details.
  • As above :)

I use high5 zero electrolyte tablets as I don't like sugary drinks when I am riding.
    About £6 for 20 tablets. As a sufferer myself I can definitely recommend you try them.

Berry flavour is my favourite :mrgreen:
    "You really think you can burn off sugar with exercise?" downhill paul
  • Teece
    Teece Posts: 138
    So I can get tablets to drop in my water that contain stuff that will stop me cramping AND it's got carbs in?
    Sounds great. I'll get googling.

Many thanks guys.
  • Teece wrote:
    So I can get tablets to drop in my water that contain stuff that will stop me cramping AND it's got carbs in?

Many thanks guys.

Some have carbs and some don't.
    The High5 Zero tablets are calorie free
    "You really think you can burn off sugar with exercise?" downhill paul
  • Teece wrote:

Many thanks guys.

Some have carbs and some don't.
    The High5 Zero tablets are calorie free
    And High5 Energy source has both carbs and electroytes :)
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    Yup, I ride with 1 bottle w/ a zero tab and 1 bottle with a 2:1 (4:1 for 100+ milers) carb drink.
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • -Hydration
    -Nutrition
    -Training

I generally get cramp with a combination of higher exertion than normal and poor hydration.

I find that when I feel I'm starting to go, that a lower cadence in a harder gear is the way to suppress it.
  • izza
    izza Posts: 1,561
    I found that for longer ( > 80 mile) sportives or multi day events (L2P) I needed to start the hydration process a day or two before the ride.

So I'd agree with the above and add Boots hydration treatment sachets for the two days beforehand.
  • navrig
    navrig Posts: 1,352
    Some prescribed medications can bring on cramp.
  • graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    I've generally found that hard exertion is what gives me cramp. Training at higher intensities closer to the intensity I work at during an "event" has drastically reduced my susceptibility to cramp.
  • siamon
    siamon Posts: 274
    Could try getting out of the saddle every five minutes or so, hips towards the bars + stretch the calf at the bottom of the stroke, switch legs and stretch the other. During the Vuelta I saw a couple of them unclip one leg & pull their heel up to their glutes to stretch the quads!!! Sitting in the same position, doing exactly the same repetitive movement for hours on end doesn't do me any favours, do a bit of stretching (on a gentle downslope) and I'm fine!
  • Teece wrote:
    Requesting ways to prevent cramp on 50+ mile rides. It spoiled the last sportive I did, and I don't want it to spoil my first century ride.
    By far the best means to prevent cramp is to improve your cycling fitness through training.