So, about steel frames?

2»

Comments

• supersonic wrote:
    Steel frames are generally getting stiffer and heavier due to the CEN regs. The 2009 CdF frame was 5lbs on the nose for a medium, very likely the new one is heavier than this.
    There is a "racing bike" exemption (prob not applicable here) and the regs came into force in 2008. I'm not even sure the CdF was around before this but it would be a suprise if it was brought to market with impending regulations which would cause a redisgn almost immediately.
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    I love steel frames;

Feedback on the road, slight amount of flex and some comfort far outweigh the weight issues - modern steel frames can be pretty light though.

My Main bike is built from Reynolds 531 Pro (Special Lightweight, or SL, in new money) - it is staggeringly light and very comfortable. I also have a Zeus track frame built from 531C, much heavier and stiffer, but feels really solid on the road.

The main reason I like steel is that there is no 'bulkyness' to the frame, the minimum amount of material to keep the strength.
  • vorsprung
    vorsprung Posts: 1,953
    supersonic wrote:
    Get a carbon frame and stick a carbon disc fork on it.

That's what I'd do. Carbon is getting much cheaper now, has vibration absorption properties in excess of any metal, and can be stiff under pedaling yet still comfortable.

I find Ti to be better than Carbon for soaking up high frequency road buzz. Agree generally about carbon being "stiff under pedalling yet still comfortable." , my Roubaix transmits power better than any bike I've had and floats over cobbles and potholes.

But the "softness" of Ti does take out some road noise that carbon doesn't.

The downside for Ti for me is that it breaks at the welds more commonly than I'd like. Titanium might be a wonder material but Titanium welding of bikes isn't as well understood as steel welding