Didn't He Do Well? Chris Froome

BelgianBeerGeek
BelgianBeerGeek Posts: 5,226
edited September 2012 in Pro race
So then chaps. Lots of comments re. Froome.
I think he's had a blimmin' good season all told. He's finished second twice in two GTs and looking like fourth tomorrow (oh and an Olympic medal). He's showing a brave face, for sure, but I think we'll see a lot more of this guy.
What next for him? I'd like to see him take a big GT win. I think he's well capable of it.
Ecrasez l’infame

Comments

• I know he's probably shattered from the tour, but (putting my neck on the line here) I don't see him ever beating Bertie. And when Andy comes back......nope. Honestly think that this years tour might have been his best chance to take the yellow jersey. He might get the Giro or Vuelta eventually.
  • B3rnieMac wrote:
    I know he's probably shattered from the tour, but (putting my neck on the line here) I don't see him ever beating Bertie. And when Andy comes back......nope. Honestly think that this years tour might have been his best chance to take the yellow jersey. He might get the Giro or Vuelta eventually.
    Don't agree totally with this.
    Contador looks a mere mortal now clean and Shrek will be under the spotlight following hos brothers positive and he can't TT, so I think the tour is quite open next year.
  • B3rnieMac wrote:
    I know he's probably shattered from the tour, but (putting my neck on the line here) I don't see him ever beating Bertie. And when Andy comes back......nope. Honestly think that this years tour might have been his best chance to take the yellow jersey. He might get the Giro or Vuelta eventually.
    Don't agree totally with this.
    Contador looks a mere mortal now clean and Shrek will be under the spotlight following hos brothers positive and he can't TT, so I think the tour is quite open next year.

I agree to a certain extent with you, but it all depends on the parcours. A TT heavy course this year worked in Brads ( and to an extent Froomedog) favour, who's to say next year won't be scant on TT miles? I'd like another British winner, but even a more mortal looking Alberto can still pull off a blinder of a stage to win, even though it looked like he was having to settle with a podium.

For the sake of a good discussion, I don't think Chris has the head to win a GT. and then he has to deal with Michelle Cound in his ear.....
  • TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986
    B3rnieMac wrote:
    For the sake of a good discussion, I don't think Chris has the head to win a GT. and then he has to deal with Michelle Cound in his ear.....

She's outspoken, but beautiful. I'm sure she has many redeeming qualities - doubt she'll be going any where. Besides, it's funny that a straight talker cuts through the pretence and media spin.
  • It was a shame we didn't get to see him at his best (assuming that wasn't his best), but the reality check probably hasn't done him any harm.

I think he has what it takes to win a GT, but time will tell whether he can win one in which the very best are riding.

As for his Mrs, vile woman but yes she is quite good value entertainment.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • It's a shame for Froome that he is riding in a time of successful Brits where at anyother time his results would have made him King of the Hill. I'm sure his time will come though.

As for his missus, there is a yin and a yang to everyone and I'm sure she's a damn good sh@g to make up for her outbursts.
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    As for his missus, there is a yin and a yang to everyone and I'm sure she's a damn good sh@g to make up for her outbursts.
    She must have some redeeming qualities!
  • ms_tree
    ms_tree Posts: 1,405
    I was really impressed with his comments of how he is learning etc. He should do the Giro next year IMHO.
    'Google can bring back a hundred thousand answers. A librarian can bring you back the right one.'
    Neil Gaiman
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    Ms Tree wrote:
    I was really impressed with his comments of how he is learning etc. He should do the Giro next year IMHO.

Agreed. I was a bit lukewarm to him before, but he's shown a lot of humility in his interviews during the Vuelta. I think he could win the Giro if he goes into it fresh.
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    afx237vi wrote:
    Ms Tree wrote:

Agreed. I was a bit lukewarm to him before, but he's shown a lot of humility in his interviews during the Vuelta. I think he could win the Giro if he goes into it fresh.
    I think this is possible, he was knackered by the vuelta and it was Berties first race back so he was fresh
  • Pozzi
    Pozzi Posts: 23
    B3rnieMac wrote:

Great post.

Contador only looked vulnerable due to his layoff from competitive cycling, and it was nothing to be with being clean or not. Valverde was dreadful during the TDF because he was way off being in shape for a 3 week tour after a more severe layoff, but look at what it did for his shape for the Vuelta. This was definitely Froome's best chance. Expect Contador to show domination like he has in previous tours, over the next year or so.
  • Yeah he impressed me this Vuelta. Could have given up when he knew he was out but he stayed with the fighting spirit. Contador praised him.

Nice to see him without the SKY PR BS and his loud mouthed girl.

Contador will be flying next year and tear up all comers including Froome.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,181
    I think he has possibly had some bad press thanks to his missus. I'd like to see him at the Giro with a fresh team that have had similar preparation (I hate using that word in cycling but don't mean it as a euphemism here!) as thr Wiggins team had for the Tour. His tiredness and drop in form was very re-assuring to me and also I think he now understands the pressure of being team leader if he didn't before.
  • hammerite
    hammerite Posts: 3,408
    Pross wrote:
    I think he has possibly had some bad press thanks to his missus. I'd like to see him at the Giro with a fresh team that have had similar preparation (I hate using that word in cycling but don't mean it as a euphemism here!) as thr Wiggins team had for the Tour. His tiredness and drop in form was very re-assuring to me and also I think he now understands the pressure of being team leader if he didn't before.

He'll need a better early season than this one if he wants to do well at the Giro. Hopefully he won't have a relapse of this biharzia thing, or tangle with pensioners while out training and everything will be fine.
  • hopefully the posh tawt will fupp off back to africa and take his dog with him. :evil:
    'dont forget lads, one evertonian is worth twenty kopites'