Seat Advice

rgrc28
rgrc28 Posts: 16
edited September 2012 in Road beginners
Probably too open a topic, but after 300 miles i'm still not totally happy with the saddle on my bike, I road commute to work 17 miles each way, the roads are not great with a couple of hills and some rough surfaces, and i have a moderately loaded bag on my back.
I've been riding for years and never had this problem, i previously did a combined cycle/train/cycle commute and bought a road bike to ditch the train part.
I rode a slick tyred mountain bike before and no cycling shorts, never had a problem.
I've tinkered with the ride position a lot until it's pretty good, i've been out on a few evening road rides with a friend, no bag on, and not found it any more comfortable.

I realise seats/saddles are quite an individual thing, but can anyone suggest replacement for me.
Mine is a stock Giant Saddle from a 2012 Defy 2 as a start point.

Comments

• You are right they are personal items and can take some testing to find one that seems to fit. I ended up with a Selle Italia Max Flite Gel on my last bike after trying a few saddles and it was pretty good for up to 100 mile rides but I did get some discomfort on the last few miles.

So bought a new bike and thought I'd need to swap the stock saddle. The chap in the LBS said I should give it a whirl first as he believed it was the best saddle he had ever tried and had now fitted all 4 of his bikes with it. So I gave it a whirl. It was a revelation. Absolutely great and no discomfort on long rides. I have to say I was quite suprised and is the best saddle I've ever had.

Anyway it's a Bontrager Affinity RL in 146mm width. Might be worth having a look at but I would recommend you get a sit bone measure so whichever saddle you try you get it in the right width.
    Trek Madone 5.9
    Kinesis Crosslight T4
  • If you still have the MTB, could you not swap the seat over to try it out? If you do not have it anymore, do you know what seat was on it? Might be worth trying to find another one the same.
  • Charge spoon saddles are often most people's starting point in the long search for the right saddle but be aware, I had the same saddle as you and bought a Spoon. Only to find that the giant saddle is just a rebranded Spoon! Exactly the same.
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    ALaPlage wrote:
    ............ but I would recommend you get a sit bone measure so whichever saddle you try you get it in the right width.

I'll go along with the sit bone measure idea. While it may not be the ultimate answer it's a step in the right direction.
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    Get your ar*e measures at your LBS, and remember, shape is more important than padding.
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • Luckly on my first road bike (2nd hand) I had a saddle on it that was worth as much as i paid for the bike (Fizik Arione) and when I bought my Felt I couldnt get on with the sadlle despite doing the same sorta mileage as you.

Being quite tall the long/slender style of the Arione was perfect for me (hence i went out and got another one, although the price was a tad eyewatering!) and I'm not blissfully comfortable again, but as has been said above, get yurself measured or ask down your local bike shop, as theyre normally pretty helpful
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,120
    SEAT? We've got an Alhambara that we've been very pleased with...

...oh, hang on, you mean saddles...bear in mind you may get a sore ar5e from short choice, lack of riding, etc

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • Thanks for the replies, as hoped you've given me plenty to think about.
    I've been cycling for a while now (20+ years) and really thought i'd heard it all, but getting your sit bone measured is a new one to me! Guess i'll have to scope out a shop near me (Southampton/Portsmouth) that'll be able to do it and not then expect me to spend £££££ on a saddle to match.

I still have the mountain bike, but like everything else on it the seat is worn out, soaks water up and then gives you a wet arse for a week after it's rained.
    The charge spoon i had also heard was a good starting point, and yes, it would seem mine is a Giant branded version of this, bugger.
    San Marco, Selle Italia and Fizik Arione are all the saddles i've narrowed down to in my own research.
    The Fizik seems to be the most popular, but also the most expensive by an awful lot.
    For the price of an Arione, i could get a Brooks saddle, which i've heard is hands down the the comfortable, period.
  • secretsam
    If you have a significant other, (s)he can measure your ar5e for nothing. Most saddles have a measure to show how wide they are, if (like me) you've got a big arse, get one that's wide :)

Brooks saddles end up super comfy, so I'm told, but they take a bit of looking after and are heavy, and you've got to bed them in

Mind you, they last forever - your hear tales of people spending £'000s on a new custom made bike and then dumping some ratty old Brooks that they've had for 20 years on it!

• kingrollo
    kingrollo Posts: 3,198
    Well I have charge spoon for sale for £!0 + postage if you want one......

What exactly is the problem - just uncomfortable ? - for how long after you get off the bike........

Like you I had been cycling for well over 20 years - over a matter of weeks a developed arse ache - 15 months later I am still not back on the bike to any degree. For me the selle SMP TRK has provided some relief - and they only cost around £30 for the basic version .....

try and do some stretches - if eveything is tight round that area it can cause problems - one physio I seen reckoned I had a build up of scar tissue over the years - this made me less and less flexible -

best of luck.....
  • MIABS
    MIABS Posts: 53
    I have a Ritchey Marathon Comp saddle for sale on eBay.
    The blurb about the seat say its extra padding is ideal for long distance rides.
    It's only been used once and very comfy. Only selling it as I like the colours of a different saddle.
    My ride: Ribble New Sportive Racing
  • This saddle got amazing reviews.

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/spe ... e-ec034167

and its only £80 smackers
  • secretsam
    How are those Charge saddles? Get good reviews but never tried one, can't say I'm wild about their bikes but are the saddles any good?

• t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    iampaulb wrote:
    This saddle got amazing reviews.

Patented Body Geometry design is lab tested to assure blood flow to sensitive arteries
    basically they are saying is doesn't cruch the base of your cock - so why don't they just come out and say that?
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    t4tomo wrote:
    iampaulb wrote:
    This saddle got amazing reviews.

Patented Body Geometry design is lab tested to assure blood flow to sensitive arteries
    basically they are saying is doesn't cruch the base of your fool - so why don't they just come out and say that?

Well, saying that it won't smash the sh*t out of the blood vessels going to your doink doesn't sound anywhere near as good as "...is lab tested...".