My Mega Build

sniper68
sniper68 Posts: 2,910
edited September 2012 in Your mountain bikes
Swapped every thing I could off my Enduro and only had to buy a headset,seat-post collar,SLX front mech,ISGC05 stinger,post shim(30.9-31.6mm) and some blingy braided gear outers 8)

7914834706_e54517bac7_b.jpg

Comments

• Are they the forks from the Enduro? Not sure I would fit dual crowns to a mega.
  • sniper68
    Are they the forks from the Enduro? Not sure I would fit dual crowns to a mega.
    Yes they are 8) I wanted summat different and they're only 150mm travel so within the frames travel range and I doubt there'll be another Mega with them on :mrgreen:
    I rode it for the first time today and it felt pretty good 8) A few tweaks on shock pressure etc but other than that it's all good :D
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    Mind if I ask why Spesh bothered producing a 150mm dual crown fork? Surely it's just unnecessary weight for something that's only marginally stiffer? Personally, I'd rather save the weight and hassle of fitting dual crown forks.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • Are they any heavier than a Lyrik? They probably only have 32mm stanchions but the stiffness of a 35/36mm stanchion.
  • ilovedirt
    They look like more than 32mm to me, and my lyriks are 170mm, and i daresay lighter as well.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • Be interested to hear how it compares to the Enduro... aren't they designed for pretty much the same thing? What made you change frames?
  • sniper68
    edited September 2012
    Right the fork has a 25mm axle(weighs less than the 20mm maxxle on my HT),mega stiff and weighs just under 5lbs(2.1kgs),So a tad stiffer than a Lyrik(?)and about the same weight.The stanchions are 36mm.I absolutely love the fork and it's the best I've ridden.
    I changed frames because the Enduro was 4.5 years old and feeling it! The fork is less than a year old(warranty replacement) so I decided to buy a frame.I've had 3 Enduros and fancied summat different.
    All in it weighs around the same as the Enduro at 30lb but feels stiffer.As for hassle fitting it takes literally 5 mins.
    I can't do a direct ride comparison to a Lyrik but in comparison to the Revs on my HT it's like night and day.The Revs are not in the same league.
    I might eventually be tempted by a Lyrik but would need convincing of any benefits.
  • Nice - the Mega is on my list of potential AM/bike park bikes for next year (though I guess it will be the new one) - want something to replace two bikes (an ageing heckler and a big hit). I think with the right spec the Mega could be the one.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • ilovedirt
    Fair enough, well that answers my question.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • sniper68
    Not everyones cup of tea but it suits me :mrgreen:
  • sniper68
    Well,2 rides in and despite the bike being washed both times the Blingy Clarks cables practically siezed :| I'll try some WD40 or dry lube in the shifter-pods but I fear it might be good old Shimanao XT inners/outers :| I've never experienced this before,they did free up after a few changes but TBH I think I prefer the fit-and-forget Shimano cables 8)
  • Not too keen on the DC forks, but as you say each to their own.
    Apart from that great looking bike. I'm going to try and pick on up myself early next year after my trip to the desert (afghan). Been looking up the Mega for a few months now. I just hope they still have some at the price they are now when I cash in. :!:
  • Jomox
    Jomox Posts: 250
    Looks mint, forks and post go together nicely.
  • interesting what you said about the cables, my Jagwire switch braideds are looking a little tired now, saw the clarks were cheap! you run them as single outer or split??

cracking looking bike, Full of purpose!
    Timmo.
    After all, I am Cornish!
    http://cornwallmtb.kk5.org/
    Cotic Soul, The bike of Legends!:wink: Yes, I Am a bike tart!
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... 1#16297481
  • sniper68
    Single outer.
    Not impressed with them at all.