Drafting.

PlymouthSam
PlymouthSam Posts: 64
edited September 2012 in Road general
Im new to road cycling, and just wondering how much benefit would be had from drafting if your not all that quick ? I did try to draft a car yesterday in a 20mph zone which i think i could feel the benefits but not so sure on the benefits to be had from another cyclist ??
Specialized FSR XC Comp
Scott Speedster S55

Comments

• The difference if you're not all that quick.. is that you will be all that quick when drafting in a group!

There is less difference for drafting an individual though.

Drafting in a group is much better than drafting a car though... because unless you're a nutter you're not getting that close to the car. Whereas a group of cyclists can be nice and tight.
  • Yes, drafting in a group is much easier but I find busses are pretty good too!
  • So it is worthwhile then, cheers ! I dont get to meet many roadies on my way to work unfortunately.
    Specialized FSR XC Comp
    Scott Speedster S55
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    So it is worthwhile then, cheers ! I dont get to meet many roadies on my way to work unfortunately.

Yep - it's worthwhile as long as the vehicle infront of you doesn't have to stop suddenly for some reason and then all of a sudden, very abruptly, it stops being worthwhile.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • As above, its not really worth drafting a car. Most saloons and hatchbacks have lower roofs than head and shoulder height (unless your tucked on the drops). Get behind a lorry or a bus, watch the the zone is much bigger, you dont have to hug the bumper quite as close.

Keep an eye on the brake lights at all costs though.
    Trek 1.1c (2012) - For commuting
    Trek Madone 5.5c (2010) - For pleasure http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o62 ... G_0413.jpg
  • Dont worry boys im not a total fool haha, cheers for the advice though.
    Specialized FSR XC Comp
    Scott Speedster S55