Ragley Piglet X7 - any good?

WoodsRider
WoodsRider Posts: 24
edited September 2012 in MTB buying advice
Hello everyone,
after looking into getting an Orange Crush, I've decided against getting one of those, and I am considering getting a Ragley Piglet X7. I would just like to see what other people think about these bikes? I am more than willing to upgrade some of the parts, such as the fork (probably to a fox fork), drivetrain (maybe shimano slx?), bars/stem etc if needed?

With regards to the size, being 6" 1', I think that the 20" size frame is my only option, and it would probably be green!

Thanks,
Pat :D

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Good bike, but what do you intend to do with it, what type of riding, how much experience have you got?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    Supposedly really good bikes, and well specced for the price, however there were some issues with the seatstays cracking/snapping. I'm not sure if they got resolved or not...
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • My intended riding, is xc/trails and also Dalby forest. Most likely the red trails to start with, and then hopefully try out the black route! Out of the ragley range (which I've only just found out about!), is it worth going for the Piglet X7, or upgrading and spending another £500 on the Blue Pig X9 - or just save that £500 and use it to upgrade the piglet? Thanks again
  • ilovedirt
    They're different bikes really, the blue pig has longer travel forks, will weigh a bit more and has slacker etc geometry, however that's the bike I'd have. It also has none of the cracking issues.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    I'd take a look at the Genesis Core series of bikes too.
  • I've just found another interesting brand, called, on-one. I might look into getting one of these, either as a pre built bike or a frame! Any thoughts? Thanks again :D
  • ilovedirt
    On One are good,I used to have a 456 which I liked, though not as much as my Ragley. To be honest, a lot of these brands are pretty similar, you just have to decide which you prefer the look of and how much you want to pay I guess.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • On One and Ragley bikes are designed by the same person and built in the same factory. Both are basic but they work well though they are a little heavy.
  • ilovedirt
    I wouldn't call them basic, lacking a few fancy touches of high end bikes maybe, but certainly not basic. I thought my Ragley was particularly well thought out actually in terms of cable guides, head tube and seat tube sizes and the swappable dropouts.

Though I would like to point out that my Ragley rides totally differently to my old 456.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • ilovedirt wrote:
    I wouldn't call them basic, lacking a few fancy touches of high end bikes maybe, but certainly not basic. I thought my Ragley was particularly well thought out actually in terms of cable guides, head tube and seat tube sizes and the swappable dropouts.

Though I would like to point out that my Ragley rides totally differently to my old 456.

When you say that the ragley rides totally different, in what way? Is it better? Thanks
  • ilovedirt
    It's more of a downhill oriented frame, slacker head angle, shorter back end, long front end (tad shorter than the 456 though, I found that a little too long), lower BB, steeper seat angle so you can get over the front on the climbs etc. I also got a slightly smaller size than my old 456 so that'll make some difference, but I find the ragley to be super stable when you point it downhill, but it just corners and handles really well. It's basically spot on, for what I want, though it's a bike that needs to be ragged. It might perhaps be a little more sluggish in the hands of a less experienced rider due to the slacker geometry, or it might not climb as well as a 456, but it's perfect for me.

That said, the new 456 evo is supposed to be a good compromise between the old 456 and the 456 summer season (the slacker more downhill oriented frame), I've not ridden one though, so I can't say.

Sorry if that just sounded like a load of bollocks btw! :lol: I just find that the Ragley has superb handling in general, seems that they really got it right with that one.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • I rode a blue pig back to back with my 456SS and they aren't hugely different. The on one feels like better down hill and the Ragley climbed better and felt a little sharper through twisty trails.
    I would think that the new 456 evo is closer to the blue pig.
  • ilovedirt
    Aye maybe, though the 456SS was a fair bit different to the regular 456, and the bagger is a pretty different beast to the blue pig. But yeah, I think the new 456 evo is probably closer to the SS than the original 456, if that makes sense?
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • WoodsRider wrote:
    My intended riding, is xc/trails and also Dalby forest. Most likely the red trails to start with, and then hopefully try out the black route! Out of the ragley range (which I've only just found out about!), is it worth going for the Piglet X7, or upgrading and spending another £500 on the Blue Pig X9 - or just save that £500 and use it to upgrade the piglet? Thanks again

The 500 quid could go towards the Piglet X9 if that is what you fancy too - its an upgraded X7 suprisingly enough!

Personally the Piglet appeals to me far more than the Blue Pig - I think it would be a lot like my Cove but slightly longer travel and a bit more stable at speed - seems to be the next evolution for me if I upgrade frames ever.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.