Giant Defy 2 - replacement wheels

gliese581d
gliese581d Posts: 26
edited September 2012 in Road beginners
Hey all

This question is mainly directed to those who own or owned a Giant Defy 2. I was just wondering if anyone changed the wheels to something better?

CJ

Comments

• gliese581d wrote:
    Hey all

This question is mainly directed to those who own or owned a Giant Defy 2. I was just wondering if anyone changed the wheels to something better?

CJ

To replace the p-sr2's? I have had issues with mine (2012 Defy Compsite 2) and have just bought something more substantial (Mach 1 32 hole rims on 105 hubs - second hand but low miles) - haven't had them delivered yet but they cannot be any less reliable than the stock wheels!

Was advised to get some Campagnolo cx wheels (I am of the portly persuasion) but Mrs DG isn't keen on me spending another load of money after the amount I spent on the bike without mentioning it to her!
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    Interesting, my defy 4 has the same. Never had probs with them and they seem ok but have nothing to compare with as my first roadie. So wait comments with interest
  • Mikey23 wrote:
    Interesting, my defy 4 has the same. Never had probs with them and they seem ok but have nothing to compare with as my first roadie. So wait comments with interest

Issue with me is probably weight over quality! Not enough spokes in the rear for my build...
  • I have the same wheels and I weigh 105 kg roughly 16 stone+
    I've rode over 1000miles on them, over cobbles and have hit some bad potholes when not paying attention. No probs so far.
    Quite substantial wheels, I don't think there is even a weight limit for them.
  • Lycra-Byka wrote:
    I have the same wheels and I weigh 105 kg roughly 16 stone+
    I've rode over 1000miles on them, over cobbles and have hit some bad potholes when not paying attention. No probs so far.
    Quite substantial wheels, I don't think there is even a weight limit for them.

If they are p-sr2 I can tell you there is a weight limit, and it's slightly less than my current weight! I have broken about half a dozen spokes on the rear, ds and nds and at varying points along the spoke. Sadly the wheels are not up to the spec of the bike but this is where the money is being saved to hit the price point. Interestingly I think these wheels should retail around the £200 mark, there is better to be had for that money.
  • The wheels are the same as mine. They won't retail at £200, half that I'd guess.

I think maybe you've been unlucky with the build quality or seriously abuse the wheel set somehow. Like I say I've had no problems so far. ( got my first club run tommorow and may have just tempted fate there) :?
  • The standard wheels are pretty tough and the 32 spoke design should be good to handle significant load. I don't think there's anything wrong with the quality - I did a couple of thousand miles on my wheels before the front ate its bearings due to water ingress. They're still as true as the day I bought the bike though and I've never had problems with the spokes.

If you really are heavy enough to break these wheels I suggest you need to look for some 36 spoke hand builts.
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,120
    I've got some Fulcrum R7s which I got for £127 and they've been fine, replaced the utter shite Maddux wheels on my CAAD8 (32 spokes, most of which broke)

Handbuilts are a good shout, but for £200 they won't be light (probably 105 to Open pro or something)

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    If you really are heavy enough to break these wheels I suggest you need to look for some 36 spoke hand builts.
    Or loose the weight?