AM/play bike hardtail frame

dusk
dusk Posts: 583
edited September 2012 in MTB buying advice
I'm looking to buy a frame new or used for £500 or less that can be a good all rounder.

The sort of riding I will be doing is a bit of 4x, some jumps, a bit of xc and some general messing around.

I currently have a DMR Trailstar which is what I want to replace, I have some 140mm forks to go with the frame and I'm 6'5" tall so I need a decent size frame that can take a longer travel fork. I also have a 31.6 reverb that would be going spare so if that fitted it would be grand.

I think an 18" frame would be about right, small enough to jump with the saddle down and big enough to pedal with it up. I'm also not bothered about frame material.

So far I've thought a Stanton Slackline would be ideal except for the seat tube size and a used On One 456 Ti(2nd gen) which seems to fit the bill perfectly but I don't know if it would be strong enough??

Any suggestions welcome
YT Wicked 160 ltd
Cotic BFe
DMR Trailstar
Canyon Roadlite

Comments

• lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    The slackline should be perfect, had on one not had 456 carbons for £250 at the time I had money sat about, I would have saved for the stanton, it looks great on paper and all the reviews are very good too. Something else to consider is this:

production-privee-1.jpg

http://www.production-privee.com/PBSCCa ... ID=1321476

Looks fantastic and the few reviews around are very positive!
  • warpcow
    warpcow Posts: 1,448
    I'd be looking for as something with as short a back end as possible, without being a DJ bike. Cotic BFe, Slackline, Evil Sovereign. The only thing, which unfortunately nowadays is quite a big thing, against the Slackline is its 27.2 seat-tube. If it hadn't been for the CRC sale, I probably would've ended up with a BFe. NS Surge moght be worth a look too, with its adjustable dropouts, but it's very low for someone your size.
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    There's too many to choose from these days! Ragley Blue Pig, Cotic BFe/Soul, Evil Sovereign, Dialled Alpine/Prince Albert, On One 456, Stanton Slackline, and that Production Bikes Privee looks ace as well.

I've recently bought a Ragley Bagger, and while it's on the longer travel end of the spectrum, it's loads of fun with a short back end and really nimble.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • dusk
    The Bagger looks nice, if only it had a 31.6 seat tube! I quite like the Orange Crush but it has the same seat tube and I'm not sure if you can get it frame only.

The Evil Sovereign looks good but too small for a lanky sod like me!

The Production Privee looks nice too but there isn't much info on the website
    YT Wicked 160 ltd
    Cotic BFe
    DMR Trailstar
    Canyon Roadlite
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    It would be the 456 carbon for me. £250, tough, light.
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    dusk wrote:
    The Bagger looks nice, if only it had a 31.6 seat tube! I quite like the Orange Crush but it has the same seat tube and I'm not sure if you can get it frame only.

The Evil Sovereign looks good but too small for a lanky sod like me!

The Production Privee looks nice too but there isn't much info on the website
    it's 30.9, a size which most/all dropper posts are available in.

EDIT: nevermind, you already have the post.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • dusk
    where is it £250? It's £400 on their website
    YT Wicked 160 ltd
    Cotic BFe
    DMR Trailstar
    Canyon Roadlite
  • supersonic
    Ah, they have sold out of them at that price.
  • jairaj
    jairaj Posts: 3,009
    The 456 has a quite a slack head angle, would this suit the the OP's needs for a 4X / DJ bike?

My C456 feels very planted and is cracking ride over technical terrain but aren't 4X and DJ bikes normally quite nimble and quick handling?
  • They did have some in special colours in the bargain section?? Fancied the green/yellow one!

I'd seriously look at the cotic bfe, give the guys a ring and tell them what you want to do and they'll tell you which is most suited! 6ft6"on an 18" frames gonna be some seatpost for XC riding! Unless you've short legs/long body!??!
    Timmo.
    After all, I am Cornish!
    http://cornwallmtb.kk5.org/
    Cotic Soul, The bike of Legends!:wink: Yes, I Am a bike tart!
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... 1#16297481
  • Sounds like a BFe would be spot on for you.
    The Mk3 version will take the dropper post as well as doing everything else you need.

They're going for a decent price at FreeFlow bikes at the moment as well!
  • warpcow
    ANother vote for the BFe then. With a u-turn fork it'd cover everything you wanted.
  • dusk
    Thanks for the suggestions, I'm looking for an all round bike really but I have a full sus bike so it needs to be able to do things that a full sus bike won't e.g. 4x & dj. I know it won't be an ideal 4x or dj bike but I do a bit of everything so either I have 10 bikes or a couple of versatile ones!

I've got a 140mm fork to go on whatever frame I get so it's too long travel for a specific 4x or dj bike, I also know that an 18" will be a bit small to pedal but I shouldn't be in the saddle too long anyway
    YT Wicked 160 ltd
    Cotic BFe
    DMR Trailstar
    Canyon Roadlite
  • warpcow
    Again, BFe.

Alternatively, what are the forks? Could they be spaced down to 100/120mm so you could get a more 4x specific frame? I'd guess there aren't many of those around that would be too comfortable on longer jaunts though.
  • dusk
    Cotic Bfe looks perfect! 19" with no bottle bosses should be perfect to slam the post for 4x and big enough frame to pedal when seated.

I've got 140mm Fox Floats to go on, my wrist is pretty knackered so I wouldn't particularly want any less.
    YT Wicked 160 ltd
    Cotic BFe
    DMR Trailstar
    Canyon Roadlite
  • styxd
    styxd Posts: 3,234
    You can space your forks down to 120mm which will be a good compromise for the Cotic. Warpcow knows his onions, get something with a short back end. Ignore all the other suggestions of On Ones, Ragleys etc. They're basically just long travel xc frames that middle aged men use for mincing round trail centres.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    styxd wrote:
    You can space your forks down to 120mm which will be a good compromise for the Cotic. Warpcow knows his onions, get something with a short back end. Ignore all the other suggestions of On Ones, Ragleys etc. They're basically just long travel xc frames that middle aged men use for mincing round trail centres.
    Oh noes, I've just aged 20 years.....
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • jairaj
    jairaj Posts: 3,009
    so you're not denying the mincing around trail centres bit then :lol:
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    jairaj wrote:
    so you're not denying the mincing around trail centres bit then :lol:
    Well I can't prove that one way :mrgreen: or the other, I can prove I'm not middle aged though! :lol:
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • supersonic
    So what is the chainstay length of the Cotic BFE?
  • warpcow
    414mm, iirc. It's a little over 10mm shorter at the back than an on-one, but with roughly the same length front end (couple of mm's longer iirc). Not sure how the 456 Evo fits in now.
  • supersonic
    I looked it up as 419mm - not too much in it really!
  • dusk
    Now the most important question, where can I buy a large Cotic BFe in Gritstone?? Cotic won't have them in stock until December earliest (this is the new model)
    YT Wicked 160 ltd
    Cotic BFe
    DMR Trailstar
    Canyon Roadlite
  • styxd
    styxd Posts: 3,234
    Try phoning round the dealers listed on their website