Just completed 4th ride, have some questions

Laird_Attwood
Laird_Attwood Posts: 66
edited September 2012 in Road beginners
I wasn't sure if I should post here or training. (here seemed better)

I'm very unfit after not doing any exercise since I was mid teenager really, I was fit then on mtb most days, running and even a short stint in armed forces. Then I abused body a little, now want to get fit to prolong life a bit, see the kids grow up etc etc.

I have just completed my 4th ride, previous 3 have just been very local and short around the 6 mile mark.

http://app.strava.com/rides/21218518 - Strava data from last ride.

Towards the end of the ride I noticed I was getting a little discomfort in lower back, nothing to serious I had been moving around and it went pretty quick so not sure if it's a fitting or 'getting use to riding' type of complaint?

I noticed on a few occasions when trying to put some effort in to acceleration at light etc the rear wheel was slipping, my bike is a 2012 specialized allez (16 speed) with the tyres that came with it (espoir sport). Wondering if position or tyre could be at fault?

Gearing question now. I noticed that on a few downhill sections that in top gear there was no more when I wanted to go a little faster/put more effort in. I never messed with gears before and don't really know where to start. I have also noticed on this run when going into the large front ring the chain is catching the derailleur causing a horrid noise and no doubt a lot of wear. It was also a pain to get it on the large ring.

Any help you could give would be great.

Comments

• unixnerd
    unixnerd Posts: 2,864
    Lower back problems can be a sign of a seatpost that's too high. But it's more likely you're getting used to the bike. If you think the saddle is high try lower it a few mm at a time until it's OK. Don't overdo it or you'll find other problems.
    http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
    Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
    Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!
  • unixnerd, the seat isn't to high, I think. followed this as a guide http://www.jimlangley.net/crank/bikefit.html

I am just in the process of contacting 2 local shops to see if they can offer a fitting service, to make sure everything is alright. I have also adjusted front derailleur now and it's changing from small to large ring fine now. Not sure how but the bolt holding it to frame wasn't tight enough.
  • I've been riding a mtb for a few years and still found I got some back pain when I switched to road bikes. Gets better though, especially if you stretch between rides (focus on stretching the glutes). My first ride it came in around 10/12 miles, now only 6/7 rides and 2 weeks later I didn't feel anything for the first 25 miles of my last ride
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    The gear issue is interesting.

How fast are you pedalling, ie, how many revolutions per minute does one crank do? It should be around 90. Lots of people pedal too slowly and think that 'grinding' a big gear is a good thing.

You should probably be able to do 40mph without spinning out too much. What size is the big chainring and smallest cassette sprocket?
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • Yeh, even with compact gearing and in in 50/11 you would have to be going bloody fast to spin out. I have never come close, but then again my bottle starts to go at anything over 35mph :roll:
    Cube Agree GTC Pro
    Boardman Comp
    Carrera Subway Hybrid
  • Ringo 68 wrote:
    Yeh, even with compact gearing and in in 50/11 you would have to be going bloody fast to spin out. I have never come close, but then again my bottle starts to go at anything over 35mph :roll:

Spinning may have been wrong term, slipping may be better. This has happened several times when setting off from lights/junctions. Why I mentioned position. (up out of saddle) on the down stroke I can feel and hear a spin/slip (not a full wheel revolution)
    Also mentioned tyre as could also be down to no grip, again road surface could be to blame but seemed like a half decent piece of tarmac (for Stoke-on-Trent/Newcastle)

As for gears not sure on the front but the back is 13-26t.
  • I also used to get lower back pain (still do a little)
    I tilted my seat forwards a little and now i do not really get any pain
    I also did some core muscle exercises http://www.bikeradar.com/fitness/articl ... ain-22293/
    But i do think that the main thing for me was to tilt the seat forwards a little
  • I've been riding for 7 weeks now and still get shoulder, wrist and back pains when riding...its gradually got better as my muscles have got more used to me riding so I haven't adjusted anything.
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    Towards the end of the ride I noticed I was getting a little discomfort in lower back, nothing to serious I had been moving around and it went pretty quick so not sure if it's a fitting or 'getting use to riding' type of complaint?
    Probably lack of muscle training in that area - change your position more often - you may need to get off and stretch ...
    I had similar issue after a long evening ride, eased up to stretch and stand on the pedals - at which point a group of 3 overtook me ... !! Bum ... oh well - I chased, got on their wheel and had a tow for a little while - then I towed them the final mile of my ride ... :)
    I noticed on a few occasions when trying to put some effort in to acceleration at light etc the rear wheel was slipping, my bike is a 2012 specialized allez (16 speed) with the tyres that came with it (espoir sport). Wondering if position or tyre could be at fault?
    The stock tyres aren't great - but you shouldn't be slipping - where's your weight situated? It needs to be mostly on the back ... if you're sat down then it's right - if you're stood up then take some weight off your hands ...
    Gearing question now. I noticed that on a few downhill sections that in top gear there was no more when I wanted to go a little faster/put more effort in. I never messed with gears before and don't really know where to start. I have also noticed on this run when going into the large front ring the chain is catching the derailleur causing a horrid noise and no doubt a lot of wear. It was also a pain to get it on the large ring.

Noise - that's the front derailleur not adjusted correctly - new bike - cable stretch - needs a tune up - plenty of threads on this.
    "No more when I wanted to go a little faster" - you've got the same gearing as mine (2011 Allez 16) - believe me, you can go faster than 35mph - just learn to pedal faster - I've topped 48mph (downhill) at a cadence of 150. I regularly do over 40 (again - downhill) - but I'm only adding 5-10mph over coasting speed. Thought about getting a different cassette with a 12 or 11 on it - but TBH, I don't use that gear often enough to consider it worth while - yet ... Although when I do get a new cassette it will probably be a 12 smallest cog.
  • Slowbike wrote:
    The stock tyres aren't great - but you shouldn't be slipping - where's your weight situated? It needs to be mostly on the back ... if you're sat down then it's right - if you're stood up then take some weight off your hands ...

Inclines mainly so probably is positioning/weight distribution issue. It has happened on the flat as well.

Noise - that's the front derailleur not adjusted correctly - new bike - cable stretch - needs a tune up - plenty of threads on this.
    "No more when I wanted to go a little faster" - you've got the same gearing as mine (2011 Allez 16) - believe me, you can go faster than 35mph - just learn to pedal faster - I've topped 48mph (downhill) at a cadence of 150. I regularly do over 40 (again - downhill) - but I'm only adding 5-10mph over coasting speed. Thought about getting a different cassette with a 12 or 11 on it - but TBH, I don't use that gear often enough to consider it worth while - yet ... Although when I do get a new cassette it will probably be a 12 smallest cog.

Bit more fine tuning done, will see how it runs on next outing.

Thanks everyone for replies.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    bails87 wrote:
    The gear issue is interesting.

How fast are you pedalling, ie, how many revolutions per minute does one crank do? It should be around 90. Lots of people pedal too slowly and think that 'grinding' a big gear is a good thing.

I read once that many cyclists including Lance liked to train pushing big gears but then lance was able to push harder than others,
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    sjmclean wrote:
    I read once that many cyclists including Lance liked to train pushing big gears but then lance was able to push harder than others,
    yes - I understand he was an accomplished pedlar ... ;)