Riding in the UAE

snow_bike
snow_bike Posts: 12
edited September 2012 in Road general
Hi All,

Off to the Middle East soon, want to ride whilst out there. Question I have is, does anyone know how abrasive the conditions are on a bike, choice is taking my workhorse trusted commuting bike, or the fair weather faster number.

I've tried asking riders I know out there and they all just have the one bike, as commuting on bike is not a realistic option out there, so they have a single choice and use it for the training/recreational riding etc.

Cheers

Comments

• It is very hot there at the moment and the humidity is insane. A 100 yard walk leaves people I know there dripping with sweat. Make sure you take a lot to drink. I know it doesnt answer your questions, I only really saw main roads when I was in Dubai, others off the main road didn't look great.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    There are folks who cycle there - just be prepared to get up at dawn, ride out into the desert, turn around and come back. Also be wary of local drivers, they can't be very civil to Westerners on bikes so suggest you don't ride alone. It can be pretty windy and obviously very sandy but generally dry, so not too hard on the drivetrain provided you keep it clean.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Paul E
    Paul E Posts: 2,052
    It is very hot there at the moment and the humidity is insane. A 100 yard walk leaves people I know there dripping with sweat. Make sure you take a lot to drink. I know it doesnt answer your questions, I only really saw main roads when I was in Dubai, others off the main road didn't look great.

Humidity is not a problem in the middle east from my experience, there is a lack of it, it's the heat in the day that's the problem and the wind too.

It hits you when you step off a plane in the middle of the night and it's still 37 (in Doha in May)
  • Thanks guys, 5am is what I have read for getting out before it gets unbearable.

The humidity was a killer in the evenings from what I remember of a holiday in Dubai, never rode out there before.
    Hopefully, the roads outside of Jumeriah etc will be a lot quieter, I couldn't imagine tangling with the traffic centrally !

So, I guess a regular hose down and a dry lube would be best. Are the ceramic ones any good for deflection ?
  • Hoopdriver
    Hoopdriver Posts: 2,023
    snow_bike wrote:
    Thanks guys, 5am is what I have read for getting out before it gets unbearable.

The humidity was a killer in the evenings from what I remember of a holiday in Dubai, never rode out there before.
    Hopefully, the roads outside of Jumeriah etc will be a lot quieter, I couldn't imagine tangling with the traffic centrally !

So, I guess a regular hose down and a dry lube would be best. Are the ceramic ones any good for deflection ?
    The UAE is really not too bad for humidity, not comparatively. Go to Djbouti and then Dubai will seen wonderfully arid.
  • I ride most mornings before work. Yes. You will need to be up early before it gets too hot.
  • Having worked in Doha I don't think I'd want to risk the battling the cars. The driving is poor there.

Shame as the roads are smooth as pool tables in places.
  • me-109
    me-109 Posts: 1,915
    It has changed a lot since I worked out there, but I doubt the driving has got any better. I've mountain biked there, where there were plenty of tracks to get a workout, but I doubt if I did much road. Best avoided.
  • So after all the historical references listed above, a little up to date information from a current resident...

1) We now have a dedicated cycle path covering a distance of around 80KM at the moment (located to the side of the Al Qudra Road from Arabian Ranches to Bab Al Shams area)

2) We have a dedicated cycle park at the old camel race track in Nad Al Sheba (Meydan) area. Different loop sizes of 4KM, 6KM & 8KM along with kids cycling proficiency area. Showers & changing rooms there along with lighting.

3) Wednesday evenings at Dubai Autodrome (no cars at that time...) from 6-9PM, free. 2.5km loop.

4) Tuesday evenings at Yas Marina F1 circuit Abu Dhabi - 5km lap. Free, initial registration required.

5) Cyclesafe Dubai https://www.facebook.com/groups/47069672913/ - a group with >1,200 members organising group rides on Friday & Saturday along with races, trips to Tour of Oman etc. Last Friday saw more than 250 riders out, in numerous distance & average speed groups. I'm a member as you may be able to guess...

6) Bike conditions (your original question!) - dry lube essential for the chain. Any bike you want, but you'll regret not bringing the "better" one once you have seen the conditions. As to having "just" one bike - most of the people I ride with have more than that - personally I have 4, with the 5th waiting on a new group set arriving from Italy. A bigger problem is lack of second hand market, so you tend to hoard what you buy!
    Commuting not an option as you say. Conditions (apart from heat) are generally fantastic. We do not ride in the heavy traffic areas of Dubai as that is more dangerous than necessary. To get "out" of "built-up Dubai" doesn't take long by car/taxi and there the roads are much quieter.

Happy to answer any additional questions you may have...

Neil
  • Thanks that is really helpful, the 80k bike route sounds great and looks like the "better" :) bike will be thrown into the hold for the journey out.
  • There is also a dedicated cycle track (full of joggers and walkers in the evenings) along the Abu Dhabi Corniche. 18K lap.
  • me-109
    me-109 Posts: 1,915
    snow_bike wrote:
    bike will be thrown into the hold for the journey out.
    Oh yes, it will indeedy!
  • snow_bike - either let me know through PM when you are here, or sign up for the Cycle Safe group on Facebook. You may as well come and meet some other riders while you are here!