MTB Shopkeeper talking cojones??

Anonymous
Anonymous Posts: 79,667
edited September 2012 in MTB buying advice
Was in my LBS today and got talking to the guy who runs it, seemed decent enough although talked too fast.
Anyway I tried to get him to beat a price for a pair of rock shox reba 2013 forks and his reply was, 'dont buy anything over the internet cos u wont get a warranty if somethin goes wrong you're screwed'.
Call me a cynic but i think hes talkin crap and just after my money.
I referred him to merlin cycles and he says that their products are meant to be fitted to bikes and then sold, thats why they get them cheaper and can sell them cheaper as single parts but are subsequently not covered by warrantys.
Anybody got any experience of this at all?

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    merlin provide all warranty for the OE forks they sell which may not be the same spec as the aftermarket ones shown on Sram website.

what you have written is almost correct.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Anonymous
    Bloody hell.
    Glad I asked.
    Thanks louseyboy :-)
    The plot thickens.
  • rchip
    rchip Posts: 102
    That surely sounds like something someone would say in year 2000?

If you buy a fork from an authorised online retailer, then you will get a full manufacturers warranty - exactly the same as if you bought it at your LBS.

Merlin, as nicklouse says may be selling OE parts, so that may differ - but buy from someone like wiggle or chain reaction and you will have the warranty for sure.
  • nicklouse
    i remember servicing some Rebas that actually had Recon internals. as that is what the bike maker had speced. the person who bought them of the net from a shop had no idea they were not the same as the ones on the Sram webby.

another guy in Australia bought some fork from a Europe based Shop found a fault with them so got his LBS to send them to the Distributor in Aus who sent them back and untouched as they were not sold in Aus. the the guy had to send them back to the EU for sorting.

have fun.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • nicklouse
    rchip wrote:

If you buy a fork from an authorised online retailer, then you will get a full manufacturers warranty - exactly the same as if you bought it at your LBS.
    not if they are OE.
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    Another way of looking at it, is as if the shop had said 'I'm going to charge you twice the money for fundamentally the same product in 99% of cases and if on the 1 in 10000 chance it goes wrong, I'm as likely to tell you it's your fault and to sod off as I am to fix it.'

I know which I'd choose.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • Anonymous
    Yeh he kept rabbiting on about OE, all i could connect that to was like buying OEM software, then he says if it comes in a plain box with no manufacturing logo on it then its OE, although saying that he did give me a pretty good price of £325 so I think am gna air on the side of caution and get the pricey stuff from a shop :-/
  • rchip
    rchip Posts: 102
    nicklouse wrote:
    rchip wrote:

not if they are OE.

I know, I said that may be the case in my post. Below the part you didn't quote!

That's a real eye opener about the recon internals in the rebas! Hah do you know what manufacturer it was who asked for that?
  • nicklouse
    rchip wrote:

That's a real eye opener about the recon internals in the rebas! Hah do you know what manufacturer it was who asked for that?
    no idea at all.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Apart from food, I haven't bought anything from a real shop for years (I hate shops but quite like sitting on my arris).
    This has included about six bikes, various forks (new and second hand) and a small fortune in bits. I can't think of a single duff deal, and the only hassle was a new set of Magura forks (something about the wrong grade oil being used for UK conditions), which was dealt with speedily by Magura (after contact with the dealer who was very helpful) in a week.

But I still blame Wiggle.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • cooldad wrote:
    I still blame Wiggle.

THIS
  • Anonymous
    Jeez. What is it with these bike shops?? Is arrogance a pre-requisite or what??
    I realise they all want my business but am finding it hard to trust any of them.
    I appreciate advice but honestly do they all have to try and sell you something you don't want,
    disagree with your selections and treat you like a simpleton ??
    Asked a fella in LBS today if he could price match a set of forks for £325 and he says the best I can do
    is £330 lol, how dopey can you get :-D
    Really is worth shopping around, if not just to save money but to find a decent shop.
  • mcnultycop
    mcnultycop Posts: 2,143
    My LBS told me to buy forks off the internet as he couldn't even get near internet prices. So I did.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    They often can't - the internet shops buy OE destined stuff in vast quantities at highly reduced prices. Your local shop will often have to go through the official distributor like Fisher, Windwave etc. Infact some internet prices for the public are cheaper than the trade prices from your shop!
  • cooldad
    I realise they all want my business but am finding it hard to trust any of them.
    I appreciate advice but honestly do they all have to try and sell you something you don't want,
    Asked a fella in LBS today if he could price match a set of forks for £325 and he says the best I can do
    Really is worth shopping around, if not just to save money but to find a decent shop.
    For £5 I wouldn't really be haggling.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Anonymous
    Yeah thats absolutely spot on, they are cheaper than trade, forks anyway.
    But after what ive been told am not buying forks off internet but thats just me.
    I'd rather pay the extra £50 for piece of mind.
    Seems that no matter where you go or who you talk to somebody will always find fault with
    anything they don't personally recommend and that goes for the competition too.
  • Anonymous
    cooldad wrote:

Yep, that extra £5 tells you a lot about them.
  • supersonic
    If a fiver profit was all they were going to make, then I can see why he didn't sell!
  • cooldad
    cooldad wrote:

Nope it tells me a lot about you.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Anonymous
    edited September 2012
    No way jose was he only gna make a fiver, the guy in the other shop slipped up and told me he gets them for £300 trade so this other guy, whos been in business way longer had to have been gettin them in same price.
  • Anonymous
    cooldad wrote:
    cooldad wrote:

Nope it tells me a lot about you.
    I detect a little unnecessary provocation there, think you've missed the point completely.
  • cooldad
    Really?
    No way jose was he only gna make a fiver, the guy in the other shop slipped up and told me he gets them for £300 trade so this other guy, whos been in business way longer had to have been gettin them in same price, he was just a doorknob :-)
    Five quids worth of nobness to be exact. I'd told both shops straight off i'd be doing a lot of business with them if we got off to a good start. Can lie if i want lol :-D
    I do a lot of business, and sometimes the potential client is such a d1ck I just walk away. Life's too short. Maybe he was just better at sussing out cheap liars than you give him credit for.
    lol. etc.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Anonymous
    The truth is in the title of this topic I posted yesterday lol
    Buy from the web not your LBS.
    Please refer to post above for further proof of why lol
  • cooldad
    The truth is in the title of this topic I posted yesterday lol
    Buy from the web not your LBS.
    Please refer to post above for further proof of why lol
    Right, now you've made your pronouncement, all B&M shops can just give up and shut down - obviously nobody is going to buy from them again.
    As for your proof, I don't see it. Perhaps a word you don't understand fully?
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • supersonic
    Thread locked.

Can posters please post with a bit of respect for each other?
This discussion has been closed.