Truly awesome engineering in miniature

SimonAH
SimonAH Posts: 3,730
edited September 2012 in Commuting chat
Now of course, doing something like this means that by definition you are unmarried and probably struggle to pass plate glass without giving it at least a cursory lick - but by Belenos, awsome engineering in miniature! A working V12 that would probably fit in a pint glass????

Mad as a gobfull of poprocks, but fantastic! The vid is a little long - but worth it IMO

http://www.wimp.com/tiniestengine/
FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

Comments

• rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    one thinks one has to much time to surf t'internet...

... pretty cool though.
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • craker
    craker Posts: 1,739
    that is just neat. Heck of a lot of engineering there in one 9 minute vid. I didn't see any spark plugs (or distributor etc) - did I miss something? Though I suppose it could be some sort of fuel that ignites on compression.
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    That would be diesel?
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • It's a fantastic little engine! love it! Please note though it's not actually running on anything other than compressed air. getting plugs and an injection system working on that scale would have been ridiculous to say the least! Still absolutely extrairdinary craftsmanship though. Loved the turning of the crankshaft!
  • I believe it's a compressed air engine so it doesn't actually burn fuel or generate power in its own right. Fantastic piece of engineering though.

More info here:
    http://www.gizmag.com/spanish-engineer-crafts-the-worlds-smallest-v-12-engine/20636/

PP

EDIT: Damn, beat me to it :wink:
    People that make generalisations are all morons.

Target free since 2011.
  • Rigga
    Rigga Posts: 939
    Genius, reminds me of the mini v12 ferrari that was on top gear about 15yrs ago.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,768
    Take a look at this one. A Ferrari that works. Apologies for the annoying bloke conducting the interview, but it is truly incredible.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,768
    Rigga wrote:
    Genius, reminds me of the mini v12 ferrari that was on top gear about 15yrs ago.
    I must have been Googling that as you typed.
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    That sir is one neat pIece of kit. Practical uses...?

Aaah - compressed air. Shame. :)
  • Torvid
    Torvid Posts: 449
    CiB wrote:

Does something like that need to be practical, isn't it a bit like art for arts sake?
    Commuter: Forme Vision Red/Black FCN 4
    Weekender: White/Black - Cube Agree GTC pro FCN 3
  • mouth
    mouth Posts: 1,195
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Take a look at this one. A Ferrari that works. Apologies for the annoying bloke conducting the interview, but it is truly incredible.

I remember being absolutely astounded when I first saw this. He says 20000 hours in 12 years building it. That works out to be more than 30 hours a week spent on his 'hobby'.
    The only disability in life is a poor attitude.
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    Torvid wrote:
    CiB wrote:

Does something like that need to be practical, isn't it a bit like art for arts sake?
    Yes, clearly. I loved it, but surely you can't help wondering what use it could be put to, like attaching to an egg whisk and using it to fluff up a meringue, or the world's best tea stirrer, or attaching a length of string to the engine at one end on a pulley, with the other end attached to a dozing cat then you fire it up. Etc. :wink:
  • Holy sh!t !

My only thoughts are a) the cost of equipment to make that must be phenomenal and b) I'm surprised that he was using a micrometer as I wouldn't have thought that it would have the resolution he needed. Does that make me a geek ?

Really is a piece of art. I have to confess that in the past I've seriously thought about buying a working model rotary engine just because of the sheer engineering beauty of it (but almost passed out at the price). Something like this :

http://seidel-engines.com/st-7-160-b-2/

Of maybe a Wankel - but they're not nearly as pretty.

http://ludens.cl/aeromod/wankel/wankel.html
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    A friend has a model of a Brompton, right down to the folding pedal as on the real thing. Think he paid close to £400 for it and sweet talked a Brompton dealer into getting it for him as they aren't for sale to the public, shops only.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,339
    SimonAH wrote:
    Now of course, doing something like this means that by definition you are unmarried and probably struggle to pass plate glass without giving it at least a cursory lick - but by Belenos, awsome engineering in miniature! A working V12 that would probably fit in a pint glass????

Mad as a gobfull of poprocks, but fantastic! The vid is a little long - but worth it IMO

http://www.wimp.com/tiniestengine/

Nope, he's married: wedding ring on the right hand. A very understanding wife, all the same. Not sure what it says about me that my thought was, "why has he not lined the slots on the bolt heads up?" :|
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Schweet.
  • Pretty cool.

Would have better if it was a real tiny engine rather than just a model though.

Also, two valve, pushrods? What is this, the 60s? ;)
  • It's cool but not nearly as cool as the engineering that goes into building a real engine - or tuning a real engine to become a race engine - after all, all the pieces only needed to be in broadly the right place at the right time - it wasn't running particularly fast nor did he have to worry about power or efficiency. Still very neat but "just" a model.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    cant see the point.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • jejv
    jejv Posts: 566
    edited September 2012
  • jejv
    jejv Posts: 566
    The single & twin cylinder compressed air engines can be quite practical for small R/C aircraft.

The V12's & the rotaries seem mostly for show.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    jejv wrote:
    The single & twin cylinder compressed air engines can be quite practical for small R/C aircraft.

The V12's & the rotaries seem mostly for show.
    yes but that one would not have kept any compression. Or he missed out (simplified) some of the build.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    has anyone see or ever heard of Moki engines?

basically engines for radio controlled planes but are proper radial engines, they sounds fantastic

clicky
    Keeping it classy since '83