UCI Points Solutions?

ellerslierd
ellerslierd Posts: 266
edited September 2012 in Pro race
Sorry if this has been discussed elsewhere:

Huge numbers of people(particularly inrng I have noticed) seem to agree that the current UCI points system is not working very well, is leading to negative racing, and is stifling the development of you riders among teams who are buying up riders who have accumulated points to preserve their WT status. I was wondering if anyone here had any ideas of how they would change the system to improve the situation?

My tuppence worth: I would award points only for victory; in any GC, Stage/one day race or other classification (e.g. KOM, sprint or team). The points could follow a scale based on the prestige of the event/classification. I would also assign the points solely to the team, so that if the rider leaves at the end of the season, they don't take all their points with them. (I'm sure there was a reason why the points go to the rider, but can't remember it.) This would give the teams more security, and allow for more long term planning with sponsors and young riders.

The smaller teams could target a KOM competition/stage wins to top up their points, rather than targeting a defensive top 10 on a GC?

If ProcConti race victories also carried a small points incentive, it might help support some of the smaller races? Maybe ProConti points as a kind of goal difference?

Any thoughts? Would this allow us to one day see a Nicholas Roche attack!?! :shock:

Comments

• donrhummy
    donrhummy Posts: 2,329
    I disagree because the current system (and your system) both ignore the work of domestiques. They need a way to better quantify and acknowledge the importance of domestiques. While this sport typically heralds individuals, it is really a team sport. The UCI has a great opportunity with a well thought out points system to better value and equalize the salaries/contracts of all the riders. It would be better to see "stars" getting $2 million and great domestiques $400,000 than $6 million for the star and $70,000 for the best domestiques.
  • True, but if the points went to the team, then riders who are excellent domestiques and can help ensure/improve the chances of victory then they would still be valuable to the team. Or, any points won on a race are divided equally among all the riders involved, therefore a successful leader will still end up with a hatfull of points fro multiple victories, and the rest of the team get credit for their role.