Nottingham

ste_t
ste_t Posts: 1,599
edited September 2012 in MTB rides
Moving to lovely Nottingham next week having spent nearly 5 years in North Wales.

Anyone in the area that can show me the sights? It just seems so flat to me it is a tad depressing!

Weekends are generally a no go due to work, so looking to ride daytimes in the week.

Cheers

Comments

• benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    Cant show you round, but Sherwood Pines is worth a visit.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • andhr
    andhr Posts: 88
    benpinnick wrote:
    Cant show you round, but Sherwood Pines is worth a visit.

+1 on that, considering how flat the Midlands around that area are, Sherwood Pines is a pretty good circuit. I can sometimes make midweek, though I'm in Spain for two weeks commencing tomorrow...
  • Woody80
    Woody80 Posts: 324
    Depends whereabouts in Nottingham you're moving to. I live near Nottingham and either ride at Cannock Chase or go into the Peaks. Both are less than a hour and good riding either way.
  • andhr
    Woody80 wrote:
    Depends whereabouts in Nottingham you're moving to. I live near Nottingham and either ride at Cannock Chase or go into the Peaks. Both are less than a hour and good riding either way.

Don't suppose you have a good route in the peaks you can recommend?
  • Woody80
    andhr wrote:
    Woody80 wrote:

There's loads! I bought a route book which I normally use:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/190614818X
    Usually head up towards Hope and pick up a route from there. Depends what your after but this guide has most stuff from fairly short to epic rides.

The Beast at Hope Cross is worthwhile for a rocky descent.
  • ste_t
    ste_t Posts: 1,599
    Cheers for the info guys. Going to be living in/around the city centre, still in the process of sorting somewhere to live though.

I was hoping there would be more than Sherwood pines, but I'll be back to North Wales every couple of weeks so I'm sure I'll survive.
  • andhr
    Woody80 wrote:
    andhr wrote:
    Woody80 wrote:

There's loads! I bought a route book which I normally use:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/190614818X
    Usually head up towards Hope and pick up a route from there. Depends what your after but this guide has most stuff from fairly short to epic rides.

The Beast at Hope Cross is worthwhile for a rocky descent.

Excellent! I'll have to pick up a copy to find some good places to start!
  • Woody80
    The magazines often print routes as well. Really good riding in the Peaks, just make sure you take layers as the weather can change pretty quick! I almost got lost at Winhill as the cloud was coming in and the light fading, almost got worried for a moment!

Loops around Ladybower and the surrounding area are good starting points.
    Enjoy!
  • Get signed up for the Viking challenge,it's a good route and there will be loads of local riders there, only 4 weeks away now
    pity those who don't drink, the way they feel when they wake is the best they will feel all day

voodoo hoodoo