Boardman TeamR Urban Front Disc Brake and Fork

nickl360
nickl360 Posts: 59
edited September 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Hello all,

I've got a Boardman TeamR Urban for general pottering about and commuting to work and I've got a problem with the front hydraulic disc brake.

It seem to pull the wheel to the left when applying the brake and the brake seems sticky. It's not very smooth at all and doesn't inspire me with much confidence.

As the brake is sticky I've noticed the stiff front carbon fork 'wobble' with the stickyness if this makes sense?

The wheel is in the dropouts OK, what else can I check to help remedy this problem?

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    The brake can't turn the wheel unlss the front QR is loose!

Describe sticky....right now I have no idea whet you mean!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Sticky as in if I apply the front brake then it goes from really sharp to not sharp really quickly.

When the brake feels sharp and I look down at the wheel I can see the fork bending backwards at the end. It's wobbling because of the sharp/non-sharp effect from the brake itself.
  • is the fork twisting? my Boardman CX fork twists if I apply a lot of front brake, nothing dramatic or unsettling but it definitely moves!
  • I wouldn't say it was twisting, more like backwards and forwards as part of the 'wobble'.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    nickl360 wrote:
    Sticky as in if I apply the front brake then it goes from really sharp to not sharp really quickly.
    So you apply the brakes, you get good braking, and then without you doing anything the amount of braking fades away? Does it come back? is it cyclical?

No-one (else) would describe that as sticky...sticky is sticking off, or on, or the lever feeling hard to move.....
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Yes it's on off on off on off rapidly.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Pulsing due to the rotor?
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • Are you able to explain in more detail?
  • mike1-2
    mike1-2 Posts: 456
    Sounds like a loose headset to me