SPD Shoe Fitment?

Sentral
Sentral Posts: 64
edited September 2012 in Road beginners
Hi all,

I recently purchased my first Shimano SPD pedals and shoes, and after a long ride (90 miles) it came apparent that they have a lot of pressure on my big tow. It's like they're putting force through my big toe nail if that makes sense?
I'm normally a 43 (UK 8) in normal shoes but after reading comments about sizing I went for 42.

Have I bought a size too small or is it cleat adjustment?

I'm hoping it's the latter, as I don't think I'll be able to take them back if they've been used.

Any advice is greatly appreciated

Ta

Comments

• isn't the advice normally that you should go a size up? I had to get 2 sizes up in the Shimano MO77 shoes I got (luckily I tried them on and bought them in a shop rather than getting them from the internet). The sizing is terrible :)
  • I was on the brink of buying a pair one size larger than my usual shoe size which were a little snug, but on the advice of the shop salesman went another size larger. He said your feet get hot and swell. I've been really happy with them though have only managed a few 20 milers so far. These were Specialized SPD-SL shoes.
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    Sentral wrote:
    It's like they're putting force through my big toe nail if that makes sense?
    I'm normally a 43 (UK 8) in normal shoes but after reading comments about sizing I went for 42.

Have I bought a size too small or is it cleat adjustment?
    You're normally a size 9 but went for size 8 shoes?!

The Shimano shoes I've got were tight in the width to start with - I padded them out with paper to start with - but now they're fine.
    If your shoes are pinching on the front of the toe - ie the shoes are too short then I'm not sure you'll fix it - but if it's only a little too short I'd probably put a metal bar in and wedge it against the heal to stretch the big toe area out.
    If it's pushing down on the top of your toe then some padding up there when you're not wearing them will help them stretch out ... possibly even something like a socket from a socket set ...
    If it's more than a little bit too tight then I'd swap them for some shoes of the right size!

I don't think it's anything to do with your cleats!