We all make mistakes.....

OneForTheRoad
OneForTheRoad Posts: 85
edited September 2012 in Commuting chat
OK, I'm not trying to open a can of worms here. I was hoping more to either change peoples attitudes or at least get people to think twice.

This morning at a set of red lights outside Elephant and Castle I made a mistake. I wanted to turn left and thought that there was space and time at the front for me to manoeuvre into a safer position for the turn ie, in front of the bus. After making my way down the outside of the bus it was packed at the front with mopeds and cyclists etc. Needing to turn left it was obvious to me that it would be safer to wait for the bus and others to clear the junction, keep shoulder checking and then cross the lane to complete the turn. I did this and had to turn across the path of a cyclist. He didn't need to alter his speed or direction.

With hindsight I should have just waited behind the bus. I know this and felt stupid for not doing so. I was embarrassed.

What I didn't need was for the bloke whose path I crossed to start giving it a load of verbal. I had reprimanded myself mentally. A simple "tut tut" or " made a mistake there mate" said in a normal voice would have been sufficient to compound my realisation instead of the language and hand gestures used.

Maybe he was having a bad day. I was too but I didn't react by beating the cr@p out of him which was what I felt like doing.

Anyway, all I wanted was to maybe change peoples attitudes. Next time you see someone make a mistake and you feel the need to point it out then do it in a manner that would make them think twice about doing it again, not making them forget what they have done and focusing instead on what a c0ck you have been.
One for the road.....
The beer not the bike!
FCN 11

http://app.strava.com/athletes/399251

Comments

• kelsen
    kelsen Posts: 2,003
    Hardly worth beating yourself up over really. Some people, cyclists or not, take the hump over the slightest things. You made a (pretty minor) mistake and realised it so probably won't do it again. The other guy's behaviour is his problem. End of.
  • MrSweary
    MrSweary Posts: 1,699
    We do all make mistakes it is true... and if someone apologises or it doesn't put me in danger then I'll usually let it go. Where there is no apology or the person keeps doing the same thing then a word is generally in order.

Very rarely I'll let someone know how I feel but it usually takes quite a lot of bad behaviour for me to say something.

I always apologise if I misjudge something - I doesn't happen too often (I hope) and in my experience most people will accept an apology with good grace. If I've done something that really warrants the hairdryer treatment I'll stand there and take it - would be an arse not to.

If you think you've been hard done by in getting a roasting take heart that the ranter probably just ruined their own day by getting worked up into a lather.
    Kinesis Racelite 4s disc
    Kona Paddy Wagon
    Canyon Roadlite Al 7.0 - reborn as single speed!
    Felt Z85 - mangled by taxi.
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    OK, I'm not trying to open a can of worms here. I was hoping more to either change peoples attitudes or at least get people to think twice.
    But did you have dust caps on your valves?
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    I thought this was going to be a thread about buying a hybrid...
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • I wouldn't worry about it, if I had a quid for the number of times an idiot in a car has pulled across in front of me, done a u turn in front of me, pulled over without warning in front of me I would be rich...
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    i don't mind anyone doing something stupid but then apologizing, im as good as perfect but i still make the occasional mistake

its when people do something stupid an don't say nothing, that's what grinds my gears
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • I'm not that bothered about it but at the time it really pi$$ed me off.

I was just trying to say to people that if you feel the need to point out others errors then do it in a respectful way. You never know who you are screaming at and the sort of reaction that you might get back....
    One for the road.....
    The beer not the bike!
    FCN 11

http://app.strava.com/athletes/399251
  • rhext
    rhext Posts: 1,639
    From the point of view of the guy you cut up, you could quite easily be a tearaway who couldn't care less. He has no way of knowing that you've already realised your mistake and won't do it again. Some people react badly to shocks and lash out to 'punish' the offender.

Look at it this way: you made a mistake, you were sorry but unfortunately you set off an idiot. So you need to hear him venting. Better than: you made a mistake, you were sorry but unfortunately you ran into a bus. So you need to spend 6 months in hospital....
  • No one died or even get hurt, get over it.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.