Your local bike shop ...

Mikey23
Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
edited September 2012 in Road beginners
Been hanging around on here for a few weeks now and it seems as though most of the problems / queries could be dealt with if folks had a meaningful relationship with their LBS. ok, it might not be possible for a lot who don't live near one, but it seems to be a downside of buying off the Internet. Might be a little bit cheaper but that is more than made up for in the after sales service. Mine is brilliant and the owners are passionate about cycling and it rubs off

Comments

• slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    It's not always cheaper to buy on the internet ...

I was after a new back wheel following a freehub problem - I could've just ordered one on the internet ...
    instead I went into the shop where we bought SWMBO's bike - they found me some good quality second hand wheels and I got the set for less than I was prepared to pay for one. We also bought some other bits and bobs for the bikes and received a reasonable discount for them too ...

We'll keep going back there because when we did have a breakage (hanger broke following user failure) they sold me the new hanger - but also fitted it to the (nearly new) bike and checked the bike over for other damage - no charge! You can't get that sort of service from online outfits ...
  • NITR8s
    NITR8s Posts: 688
    I got my bike cheaper at a local bike shop, than you can still get it for online.
  • ben@31
    ben@31 Posts: 2,327
    But the thing that puts me off LBS... When I take my bike to be serviced, it always sounds like the guy who works there is trying to get me to buy new components that don't need replacing.

Me "The gears don't shift as well".
    LBS sucking thru teeth before he's even looked at the bike "The cassette or the chain needing replacing".
    Me "The bikes brand new, I bought it last week".

The 2 screws for deraillieur index just needs an adjustment.
    "The Prince of Wales is now the King of France" - Calton Kirby
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    Well done for not getting sucked in mate, as you say he's just trying to get you to buy stuff you probably don't need. If I were you, I would find another LBS ...
  • plowmar
    plowmar Posts: 1,032
    Why were you taking it in for servicing within a week of purchase?
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    Dunno, but mine offers a check over after 100 miles for stuff to be adjusted and tightened up and my guy was happy to show me how to do things for myself. Spend quite a lot of time hanging out in my local shop. Often offered a coffee if they aren't too busy, always have lots of random things to talk about, some of them bike related. And of course, there is always the temptation to buy things ...