Anyone recommend a camelbak?

Kieran_Burns
Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
edited September 2012 in Commuting chat
I'm kind of limited on the range of my jaunts by the amount of fluids I can carry and convenient watering holes (always paranoid about leaving the bike while I'm in the shop.

So I was thinking about a Camelbak

Any recommendations / ideas / alternatives?
Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
2011 Trek Madone 4.5
2012 Felt F65X
Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter

Comments

• I don't like them myself - partly the faff of cleaning and partly because of sweaty back syndrome. Can you not fit more bottle holders to your bike (the sort that attach behind the saddle for instance?) or the belt bag sort (Innov8 Race 4) to at least avoid a sweaty back.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • i hear all you need do with the container is flush it out and bung it in the freezer....
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • Take the bike into the shop doorway, most small shopkeepers are quite accomodating.

watch out for the big ones, they'll kick your head in
    There is a rule for that
    FCN 4 2009 Trek 1.5
    FCN 11 2007 Apollo XC.26s
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    i use a camelbak (mule) on my long trips. i always worry that im going to run out of water when wearing it though (you cant see how much is left)

cleaning is easy just use one of them denture cleaning tablets (make sure they are flavourless type) fill it with water drop a tablet in - easy
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • I've also got a mule but prefer to use 2 water bottles attached to the frame instead as no matter what the advertising says you still get a sweaty back and I'd rather the bike was more uncomfortable than me.

Cleaning is easy, I use Milton tablets and then bung it in the freezer after a good rinse out. I would never consider paying a fortune for all the special brushes etc.

Camelbak have got a gizzmo (invention not gremlin) that clips on the tube and tells you how much water you've used/got left. I think it costs a load though.

I've found that now that I'm fitter, unless it's really hot I don't need the extra capacity that the bladder offers. The mule looks good but I was a little disapointed with the amount of space available inside for other bits. If you wanted to try it out then Sports Direct were doing cheap bladders the other day, just chuck one of those in a rucksack and see what you think.
    One for the road.....
    The beer not the bike!
    FCN 11

http://app.strava.com/athletes/399251
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    I'm kind of limited on the range of my jaunts by the amount of fluids I can carry and convenient watering holes (always paranoid about leaving the bike while I'm in the shop.

So I was thinking about a Camelbak

Any recommendations / ideas / alternatives?
    Two bottles, take bike into shops (never had a complaint) and a cheap/light cable lock in case someone does complain. Village shops always seem pretty safe anyway, and filling stations have big windows you can use to keep an eye on your bike. In order to steal your bike they'd have to walk up to it, cut through the lock, chuck the bike into a van and drive off, in front of multiple witnesses/security cameras, and in less time than it would take you to run out the door. Anywhere that could happen, you don't want to be cycling anyway...

Or one of those triathlon-type bottle racks behind the saddle. That gets you up to 3 litres, which should keep you going for a while. Without the rucksack you'll lose heat through your back more efficiently, sweat less, and therefore need less water.

Edit: If you're really happy carrying a rucksack, isn't it easier just to have a normal one and put extra bottles in it?
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • rhext
    rhext Posts: 1,639
    I have two bottle-holders on the frame. I've also found that an SiS energy-drink bottle fits quite nicely in a bottle cage, despite having 50% more capacity than a standard bike bottle.

I do have a camelbak (mule) which I use for mountain biking, but I try to use it as little as possible because I don't like a sweaty back and because I find that they start to smell very badly of stale sweat with regular use.

Cleaning's easy, they're easy to use, they do the job they're designed to do very well. It's just I try not to use it unless I have no choice ('no choice' in my case usually being defined as 'I'm out in the mountains all day, need something to carry a tool kit and spare clothes anyway, and probably wont' get an opportunity to refill my bottles). I'd never use it for road cycling.

If you're going to get one, Mules have surprisingly little space for other stuff if they've got a full bladder. They look bigger than they are in the pictures. A lot of my mates use HAWGs and I wish I'd bought one of those.
  • Here's one

camel_back_6226.jpg

Not sure I'd want to drink from it after you though :shock:
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,768
    I got a Dakine one from Evans at half price. The bladder has a clip across the top which you can remove and turn it inside out for cleaning. Only use it for all day mountain biking though as I have a rack on the back of my Jake.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 61,061
    I've used a Camelbak Hawg for a few years now - good for MTB and commuting duties. 3l fluid capacity good for pretty much anything and it's big enough to take most commuter gubbins without being too bulky/heavy.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Torvid
    Torvid Posts: 449
    if you half inflate it with air and put it under your jersey it can really help with aero positioning. For water I'd just take my bike in the shop.
    Commuter: Forme Vision Red/Black FCN 4
    Weekender: White/Black - Cube Agree GTC pro FCN 3
  • When you park up, take the front wheel into the shop with you.
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • I have a Halfords replica it holds 2L of fluid, all my tools and a change of clothes, plenty for a few hours if you don't mind a sweaty back and tepid water. Just replace the tubing when it goes bad/black, the bladder is fine. Measure the internal diameter of the tube and go slightly smaller for a good leak free fit. I recommend using medical grade Tygon as it has antibacterial properties so lasts much longer than PVC. I use it in my PC to prevent algae growing and furring up my radiators and waterblocks. A good PC watercooling or aquarium/fish/pet shop should be able to sort your out with quality tube and will be cheaper than an bike shop.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • Have never cleaned my Camelback (Mule) in 6 years of ownership, just plop it in the freezer if I remember.

Haven't given myself a case of the brown-hounds either.

Love my Mule :)
  • mtb-idle
    mtb-idle Posts: 2,179
    Rule 32 states that you shouldn't wear a camelbak. Period.

But if you do want one then costco do a great one for circa 8 of your eengleesh pounds.

clean them using denture tablets. Dismantle the bladder and pop it in the washing up bowl with one of them denture tablets (preferably a minty flavour one) and leave overnight for freshness the next day.
    FCN = 4