Replacement disc brake pads

godders1
godders1 Posts: 750
edited September 2012 in Commuting chat
I need new pads for my Avid BB7s.

I notice the Clarks pads are £5 a pair but are they made of cheese? The Avid pads are double the price.

I’ve also seen “sintered” and “organic” types. Any benefit to either of these over normal pads?

Comments

• Check out the Superstar pads on eBay - they don't list BB7 but I'm pretty sure they're the same as one they do list. Superstar are fab. Go for Organic (which I think is standard anyway) - Sintered resist wear from, say, mud (I used sintered on the Puffer 24 hour MTB race where pad wear is a major issue) but I don't think they brake as progressively.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • Thanks MRS, I'll check them out.
  • woodnut
    woodnut Posts: 562
    +1 on Superstar, but Uberbike (also on Ebay) are also excellent
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    I tried Superstars on my Avid Juicy 3s. They were dire. The bases were too big so I had to file the edges but they still seemed prone to sticking causing horrendous squeal. After a fairly short while the pads fell off the bases.

Probably a combination of blame between terrible brakes and terrible pads but I'm now using Shimano SLX brakes and pads and they are fine.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • rhext
    rhext Posts: 1,639
    Another +1 for suprestar components. I've used them for avid, shimano and now magura M4s and have had no problems at all. TBH, even if the odd pair do give problems, at about 4 pairs for £20 on the sintered pads, vs £14 a pair for genuine avid pads, you can afford to get the odd dud.
  • Another +1 to superstars! :D
    I went for the sintered pads on the grounds they tend to last longer than organics and knowing how much of a PITA they are to get in and out of juicy five brake calipers. Haven't had any problems with squealing/rubbing (except in the wet) and i am very pleased with them, especially when compared to the eye watering price of the Avids! :shock:
    Cannondale SS Evo Team
    Kona Jake CX
    Cervelo P5
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    The one pair of superstars I bought just didn't fit, backplate to large and the dimple in the rear in the wrong place, however there customer service was spot on in getting them refunded, due to time constraints had to buy locally to get the bike running.

Many people have had no issue with their pads.

Sintered are better in muddy conditions, but for commuting I'd use organic which last just as long when clean and give a bit more instant bite.

Clarks pads are perfectly good and can be had even cheaper than superstars.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Thanks all, I went for the superstars and they arrived this morning!

They fit fine in my BB7s. Will have to bed them in before I can comment on performance.