2nd out of 142 on a Strava Segment - buzzing.

NITR8s
NITR8s Posts: 688
edited September 2012 in Road beginners
http://app.strava.com/runs/12kilometers-21055959?ref=1MT1yaWRlX3NoYXJlOzI9ZW1haWw7ND00NTQwNjI%253D#376969936

So had a good go at this segment on my way home from work last night on my new bike and with new phone with strava app.

I done this segment on my old bike about 4 months ago and after killing myself managed to average 15.6mph and didnt think i could improve much more.

Well yesterday as you can see from the link I averaged 18.1mph, with a backpack with workstuff on my back. Just wanted to share my celebration.

Comments

• Mr Dog
    Mr Dog Posts: 643
    Its what Strava is all about, well done Tom. :D
    Why tidy the house when you can clean your bike?
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    You do realise you've just invited a whole load of people to hit that segment don't you? :twisted:
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • Congratulations!

Am I missing something though? It says you did it in 28 mins but on the leaderboard it says 1:25??

:|
  • Bustacapp wrote:
    Congratulations!

Am I missing something though? It says you did it in 28 mins but on the leaderboard it says 1:25??

:|

That's 28 minutes for the overall ride, the segment time is on the right.
  • NITR8s
    NITR8s Posts: 688
    Wrath Rob wrote:
    You do realise you've just invited a whole load of people to hit that segment don't you? :twisted:

Bring it on.
  • strava is great, makes road cycling a lot more interesting tbh.

One issue i dont like is how popular segments are actually quite dangerous ie one segment finishes ON the roundabout at bottom of hill.....asking for a death trap given the guy whos topping leaderboard did it in 37mph...cof cof used car ..
    London2Brighton Challange 100k!
    http://www.justgiving.com/broxbourne-runners
  • Thats one short segment... why would anyone bother even making one so short? Lol

For what it's worth i reckon i could get the kom :P
    10 mile TT pb - 20:56 R10/17
    25 - 53:07 R25/7
    Now using strava http://app.strava.com/athletes/155152
  • Girlfriend lives in taunton, i may have to sneak a little go :D nice one though!
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Having uploaded all my rides to veloviewer this is where I stand on some segments:

1st of 288
    1st of 214
    1st of 210
    2nd of 312
    2nd of 288
    2nd of 269
    3rd of 320

Considering most if my riding is on a SS I'm happy with these placings.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • Well done OP... I think missing 1st is better than getting it. There is a huge satisfaction when you place nicely, but better yourself over the coming months.
    redvee wrote:
    Having uploaded all my rides to veloviewer this is where I stand on some segments:

1st of 288
    1st of 214
    1st of 210
    2nd of 312
    2nd of 288
    2nd of 269
    3rd of 320

Considering most if my riding is on a SS I'm happy with these placings.

Never tried this before.. useful.. I have..

1 of 414 - Clifton Park
    1 of 248 - Clevedon Road Plateau
    1 of 159 - Kellaway - Sprint for the lights
    1 of 91 - Cherry Wood Sprint
    1 of 86 - Hyatts Wood Sprint
    1 of 63 - A370 Flax Bourton to Bristol
    1 of 54 - holly lane climb
    1 of 42 - Brockley Wood to Long Ashton
    1 of 20 - Timberland Trail pre Bikefest '11
    1 of 14 - Backwell, Brockley, Cherry Wood Loop (CW)
    1 of 13 - Clifton Suspension Bridge to Clevedon Pier
    1 of 12 - Longmead Avenue
    1 of 8 - Backwell, Brockley, Cherry Wood Loop (CCW)
    1 of 6 - Backwell to Hyatt's Wood Climb
    1 of 5 - Brock Combe to Petrol Station
    1 of 1 - Bristol, Clevedon, Airport: Loop
    2 of 197 - Zoo Climb
    2 of 120 - Bratton Hill descent
    2 of 26 - Two B's and a C
    2 of 10 - Road Hill Climb
    3 of 607 - The Pedal Progression Sprint 'n' Drift
    3 of 374 - Beggar's Bush Full
    3 of 277 - Morning Down Climb
    3 of 203 - Clevedon Rd Tickenham Hill
    3 of 202 - Nailsea wall
    3 of 135 - Kellaway Ave Short
    3 of 44 - Westbury to Littleton Panell
    3 of 17 - Backwell Hill Road
    3 of 15 - Westbury - Bratton rise
    3 of 14 - Clevedon Mini GC Loop
    3 of 12 - Brockley Combe Road Climb

Names included so that you can hunt down these easy pickings (in Bristol!) :-)
    Simon
  • ShutUpLegs
    ShutUpLegs Posts: 3,522
    Are any of those hills :?: :wink:
  • ShutUpLegs wrote:
    Are any of those hills :?: :wink:

They are what they are and the majority of the segments I obviously didn't create - I just ride them :)

But you are right, having a reasonable FTP and 5m power, but being heavier than most riders (85kg) compared to the 'racing snakes', out of the segments, I will tend to pick up the flatter or undulating ones.

Some of the bigger climbs around here, I'd need to be putting out more that 600 watts for 5 mins to get KOM, so that's not likely.. Or the other option - loose some weight :D

Not all racing involves hills mind you, not that Strava is racing!
    Simon
  • ShutUpLegs
    Really competitive some of those, I was planning a trip up to Portishead next week so may have a snoop around.
  • ShutUpLegs wrote:
    I was planning a trip up to Portishead next week so may have a snoop around.

I'm obviously biased, but it's great cycling around there.... just head to the Mendips and you'll be filled with joy!

For places of interest, generally anything ending in "Combe" is worth a visit, as well as around the various 'Lakes' (obviously not as big as 'The Lakes'!) And all around Cheddar, Wells etc. Just keep off the main roads and you'll have a great time.

If you plan right, you can make the rides from relatively flat, to rides that almost match the Welsh Valleys - speaking as a Welsh Valleys Man :P
    Obviously there are better places for cycling, but Bristol doesn't do to bad considering it's in the South as well as a reasonably sized city.
    Simon
  • ShutUpLegs
    I live by Cheddar and don't tend to venture anywhere else for some reason.....

Just checked my stats on veloviewer, here are the better ones and mostly descents :wink:

2 of 293
    2 of 166
    3 of 343
    4 of 442
    5 of 225
  • springtide9
    springtide9 Posts: 1,731
    edited September 2012
    ShutUpLegs wrote:
    I live by Cheddar and don't tend to venture anywhere else for some reason.....

Arh, hadn't 'twigged' where 'Wavering Down' actually was... but I know now :-)

I think it's pretty obvious why there is no appeal to head north living where you are :-) For us city folk, we head south to get to share your lovely roads :-)
    Simon
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,120
    I'm obviously biased, but it's great cycling around there...

That's because it's near Bristol, which is ace and fantastic

It's just a hill. Get over it.