Is this safe?

twitcher
twitcher Posts: 6
edited September 2012 in Road beginners
Hi everyone,

I've just been setting up my new bike. I was wondering if it is safe that the wheel is only actually going into the 1cm forks about 4mm.

Thanks

Comments

• Mikey41
    Mikey41 Posts: 690
    It does not sound right, the axle should drop all the way into the forks. Which bike?
    Giant Defy 2 (2012)
    Giant Defy Advanced 2 (2013)
    Giant Revel 1 Ltd (2013)
    Strava
  • It is a Forme Longcliffe 4.0 =/ Reckon I should send it back?
  • That's not right. Front wheel QRs have a safety device that requires you to slacken it past a lip on each side of the fork. This is to prevent the wheel coming out mid-ride. Make sure you have aligned the hand nut inside the lipped recess before tightening.
  • Thanks for your advice guys. All is aligned, If I could upload a picture you could see what i mean. It is the actual axle, it simply isn't long enough to fit properly inside the forks. =/ Its a good job I noticed and was able to ask for advice here.
  • Didn't realise it was the length of axle you were referring to. Is this a new bike? Can't work out why axle would be wrong size unless someone changed it. Too important to discuss on a forum - take it to bike shop who'll fit right size QR.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    twitcher wrote:
    Thanks for your advice guys. All is aligned, If I could upload a picture you could see what i mean. It is the actual axle, it simply isn't long enough to fit properly inside the forks. =/ Its a good job I noticed and was able to ask for advice here.
    an axle can not be too short. as the Qr can actually provide enough clamping force to hold everything in place.

pics without the Qr fitted would be good.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • I have attached a picture of it. =)
  • fludey
    fludey Posts: 384
    Be interested to see what everyone says as mine looks a bit like that, I thought it was normal :?
    Felt AR4
    Planet X Pro Carbon 105
    MTB Kona Kikapu Deluxe with a few upgrades!!
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    twitcher wrote:
    I have attached a picture of it. =)
    that is toatally normal
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • klep
    klep Posts: 158
    Cant place a nut on the bolt like that... Whats the nut between the stay and the wheel doing there?
  • me-109
    me-109 Posts: 1,915
    klep wrote:
    Cant place a nut on the bolt like that... Whats the nut between the stay and the wheel doing there?
    Stopping the cones from unscrewing. :wink:
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    If the axle was as wide as the forks you'd never be able to clamp it in with a qr ?
  • klep
    klep Posts: 158
    cougie wrote:
    If the axle was as wide as the forks you'd never be able to clamp it in with a qr ?
    Thats kind of what I was refering to but in a different way ^^
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    As above, the axle should be slightly shorter than the distance between the outer faces of the dropouts, so that when the QR is closed it clamps everything tightly.
  • Thanks for you advice guys I really appreciate it. It just seems to be a bit strange that there would be a 1 cm dropout, only to have the axle going 4 mm into it.