Taking train to meet friend for ride - walk in cleats?

dubcat
dubcat Posts: 754
edited September 2012 in Road beginners
Dumb beginners question here. I need to take the train to meet a friend so we can go for a ride. We are meeting half way between each other so won't have anywhere to dump stuff like bags with walking shos in them. Should I just walk in my cleats? He said he will squeeze soft shoes in to his jersey while riding and wear them when walking. I can't squeeze any shoes I own in to my jersey pockets though!

I have time iclic 2 pedals and cleats btw.

Any advice appreciated. Going in the am so need ideas in a hurry.
2010 Specialized Rockhopper
2012 Bianchi Infinito

Comments

• Take the appropriately-sized allen key with you. Remove the cleats. Reinstall them when you
    need to ride again - it only takes a few minutes.

Providing you're not walking many miles you'll be OK. I've done it on the odd occasion.
    - Slave to the cadence -
  • I got some of these:

http://www.cleatskins.co.uk/

Seem to work pretty well and lighter than carrying a spare pair of shoes!

A
    Alistair

Best Weather Bike - Time ZXRS
    Summer Road Bike - Pinarello FPX Dogma
    Winter Road Bike- Colnago E1
    Being Dismantled - Sintesi Blade
    Mountain Bike - Sold them all....
  • Tom Dean
    Tom Dean Posts: 1,723
    Blancmange wrote:
    Take the appropriately-sized allen key with you. Remove the cleats. Reinstall them when you

Providing you're not walking many miles you'll be OK. I've done it on the odd occasion.
    :lol:

Time cleats won't be damaged by walking on them. You're only walking through the station right?
  • dubcat
    Yup just in to and out of station plus one train change. I read time cleats wear very fast hence the concern. I will just walk on them today. I have ordered some of those clearskina clear grips from wiggle for next time.

Thanks guys.
    2012 Bianchi Infinito
  • dubcat
    Pa very self conscious about wearing Lycra on train lol :(
    2012 Bianchi Infinito
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Blancmange wrote:
    Take the appropriately-sized allen key with you. Remove the cleats. Reinstall them when you

Seems a bit excessive - but if you do this make sure you can put them back in exactly the same place - particularly if you've had an expensive cleat fitting!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Tom Dean
    Tom Dean Posts: 1,723
    Dubcat wrote:
    I read time cleats wear very fast hence the concern.

Time RXS cleats certainly do not wear fast. iClic look fairly similar so I wouldn't worry.
  • AlistairD wrote:
    I got some of these:

http://www.cleatskins.co.uk/

Seem to work pretty well and lighter than carrying a spare pair of shoes!

A

how durable are these? i wear my cleats onto the train 3/4 times a week, won't the soft rubber wear through really quickly? I had a brand new pair of shimano cleats and one of the rubber corners has come off after only 2 weeks, i'm going to see if i can pester shimano into a replacement, but in the mean time i shound like i have stilettos on! that and it won't be long till it actually starts damaging the cleat, and i'm certainly not planning to pay £17 a fortnight for new cleats.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    There's no way I'd take my cleats off - that's silly.

And depending on the shoes - some just aren't suitable for walking in - the proper carbon road shoes would be lethal up and down railway steps carrying a bike. I'd rather just go in my socks when I got there than try my road shoes.
  • dubcat
    All worked out well in the end. I had to walk very little at both ends and zero steps. Phew. Thanks for the replies :)

I have ordered the cleat grips from cleatskins for next time. Today i just got lucky.
    2012 Bianchi Infinito