Pantani Docu-movie

ratsbeyfus
ratsbeyfus Posts: 2,841
edited September 2012 in Pro race
This sounds great:

http://www.velonation.com/News/ID/12810/More-details-emerge-of-Marco-Pantani-cinema-documentary.aspx
Entitled ‘The Accidental Death of a Cyclist’ and drawing on race archive, contemporary news footage, interviews with those who knew Pantani and also stylised dramatic reconstructions, the film will tell the life of the last Italian winner of the Tour, a brilliant climber in an era polluted by EPO use.

Who'll play Elafantinoissimo in the reconstructions?

I had one of them red bikes but I don't any more. Sad face.

@ratsbey

Comments

• RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    ratsbeyfus wrote:
    Who'll play Elafantinoissimo in the reconstructions?
    Ricco's available. He's always wanted to be Pantani.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    This guy is pushing 70 but he's still a spitting image!

220px-Sir_Ben_Kingsley_by_David_Shankbone.jpg
  • knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    In the Italian TV film about Pantani, shown in 2007, Italian actor Rolando Ravello played Pantani.
    This below is the actor as in the film. Front on, he has got the skull and the ears are getting there, but I think the mouth area not right (not that it matters much)

20070205_marcopantani.jpg
  • dave_1
    dave_1 Posts: 9,512
    knedlicky wrote:
    In the Italian TV film about Pantani, shown in 2007, Italian actor Rolando Ravello played Pantani.
    This below is the actor as in the film. Front on, he has got the skull and the ears are getting there, but I think the mouth area not right (not that it matters much)

20070205_marcopantani.jpg

it's a pretty good likeness...if he keeps sunglasses on in the docu then it should be good..perhaps an actor for Armstrong and Indurain are needed as they could only be taken on with PEDs , which not everyone is good at limiting use of..e.g. Jose Maria Jiminez, VDB, Pantani...pro cycling was gateway
  • Le Commentateur
    Le Commentateur Posts: 4,099
    edited September 2012
    I just hope they don't over-glorify him too much, to the point like in Italy, where people prefer to talk about the glory years and ignore the last part of the story.

It's a story a person who was driven by, and later couldn't came to terms with not being in control of, the heroic identity he had created. He was mentally disturbed by a personality disorder that was made severe by the insular and isolating world of cycling, it's parasitic hangers-on (including his business manager), the furtive culture of doping.
  • I just hope they don't over-glorify him too much, to the point like in Italy, where people prefer to talk about the glory years and ignore the last part of the story.

It's a story a person who driven by, and later couldn't came to terms with not being in control of, the heroic identity he had created. He was mentally disturbed by a personality disorder that was made severe by the insular and isolating world of cycling, it's parasitic hangers-on (including his business manager), the furtive culture of doping.

I see your point LC but I don't think it will happen. I think Pantani's race career getsglorified with the benefit of rose tinted spectacles purely because he paid the ultimate price through drug abuse. Ultimately he didn't get away with anything, he isn't sitting back basking in fame and glory for times past. I believe if he were still alive and well (mentally and physically) we'd be laying into him as much as anyone else (except, of course, when comparing him to LA at which point the Pirate is then the good guy!)
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Dying early's good for the legacy unfortunately, and the Italians aren't shy of a good hagiography.

Ultimately it's his cycling that is the centrepiece in Italian collective memory, rather than anything else.
  • ratsbeyfus
    ratsbeyfus Posts: 2,841
    Dave_1 wrote:
    it's a pretty good likeness...if he keeps sunglasses on in the docu then it should be good..perhaps an actor for Armstrong and Indurain are needed ...

OK, who should play Lance and Mig then? What about Ullrich, Riis and others?

I had one of them red bikes but I don't any more. Sad face.

@ratsbey
  • Christian Bale to play Lance. And you just know that he'll get into the character in true-Bale style and dope up :D