Helmet for someone with Dreadlocks

snaphappyspen
snaphappyspen Posts: 179
edited September 2012 in MTB buying advice
My younger brother has dreadlocks, and due to the thickness of them it means standard size helmets don't fit him.

Is anyone aware of anywhere that sells helmets for people with similar problems? possibly bigger sizes than normal?
Bike - Scott Aspect 45
Roadie - Trek 1.5 2013

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Sorry no different to what i say to anyone.

He needs to get his and dreads in a few to see whst works. He will also have to think how he has his dreads.

Never seen any marketed as such though.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • tumblr_m4e5r2oUUM1r38dq0o1_500.jpg
    Obviously your bro wants to avoid the above problem.

TinkerWash-402x421.jpg
    Tinker Durez on the other hand never seems to have a problem stuffing his natty dreads in his lid.

catlike.jpg
    Catlike may provide a creative solution by popping his dreads through the many vents.
    Giant XTC Pro-Carbon
    Cove Hustler
    Planet X Pro-Carbon
  • Thing is, looking at all the photos above, he has tried to do the same as the middle one, and it still wont fit. I guess he will just have to keep looking about
    Bike - Scott Aspect 45
    Roadie - Trek 1.5 2013
  • chez_m356
    chez_m356 Posts: 1,893
    Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 10- CANYON Nerve AM 6 2011
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Tell him to get a haircut.
    Bloody youth of today, should bring back national service. Etc.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Without wishing to be insensitive, is he black? If he isnt he is a douchebag and should probably not wear a helmet in the hope that Darwinism wins through. If he is then try some on, find one that fits. Good luck.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • Ginjafro wrote:
    Catlike may provide a creative solution by popping his dreads through the many vents.
    I used to do that in the way-before times.
    It often resulted in my hair getting tangled in the spokes, chain etc when I crashed, and a mate having to cut me out of the bike.

I've heard, but I'm not sure if it's an urban myth, that Sikhs (spelling?!?) are allowed to not wear helmets on motorcycles in tthis country because of their religious/cultural/whatever headwear. Something like that.
    maybe the same is true of Rastas?
    Anyway, if it is true, then maybe it points to the fact that dreadlocks and helmets don't go.

He could just try and turn his afro into a huge afro, Marco Simoncelli style - that seemed to fit in a GP helmet.
  • Without wishing to be insensitive, is he black? If he isnt he is a douchebag and should probably not wear a helmet in the hope that Darwinism wins through. If he is then try some on, find one that fits. Good luck.

:lol::lol:
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • has he tried a Wahle?
  • i used to use an XL size helmet when i had mine. just tell him to try them on, if they have velcro to hold the pads its worth getting a buff or similar as it will pull on the dreads which is a pain in the backside
    Zesty 214
  • i used to use an XL size helmet when i had mine. just tell him to try them on, if they have velcro to hold the pads its worth getting a buff or similar as it will pull on the dreads which is a pain in the backside
    Those aren't dreads, that's an assbeard.
    Those aren't dreads, that's an assbeard.

a glorious assbeard at that
    Zesty 214