What bike to choose!

carlosestinos
carlosestinos Posts: 5
edited September 2012 in Commuting general
Hello All,

Im currently looking to buy a bike to cycle daily to and from work. Im a little bit confused as to what to buy. My route each day would be a 10 mile round trip, mixed gradient nothing too steep though. most of the cycle would be on tarmac, i would need to negotiate a few curbs. The last 500 meters of the ride is down a gravelly road, quiet loose and fairly rough. The wether is prety erratic aswell, with plenty of Rain!Snow is probably a certainty at somepoint over the winter( will be swapping tyres when it does!) well thats the picture painted!
My budget would around £1000. Im after something light,agile able to take a few bumps and not too sluggish on roads or tarmac as thats where it will spend most of its life. Im basically after a jack of all trades but a master of none. Im fairly certain this will take me to a hybrid bike. I think i want one that sits right in the middle of the hybrid spectrum.

Any feedback or suggestions would be most appreciated!

Thanks in Advanced.

Carlos

Comments

• Hi Carlos

Hybrid= best of no worlds (imo)

I'd go cyclocross. Like a road bike but will accommodate wider tyres and they often come with disc brakes these days (good for winter riding).

The Boardman CX has a good rep:

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... yId_165710
  • Make a list of all CX bikes that will take racks and mudguards.
    Go ride them all.
    Buy the one that feels best and comes in a nice colour.
  • CX, the thinking man's hybrid.

Is it a rigid 29er with drops or a roadie with relaxed geometry and room for knoblies?

Much the same as the Boardman but lacking the obnoxious branding:

http://www.jejamescycles.co.uk/speciali ... .html#info

specialized-tricross-elite-disc-bike-charcoal-gold-65344.jpg

If I had £1k to blow on a bike I'd probably go with something like that.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.