Jumpy Rear Gears

nutter_bed
nutter_bed Posts: 87
edited September 2012 in Road beginners
Hi
I have a 5 week old Focus Variado and just recently when I'm in the small cog at the front the rear doesn't change correctly.
It can either jump up 2 gears instead of 1 or not change at all and then suddenly jump 10 ro 20 seconds later when I'm not expecting it to. This happens when moving from smaller to larger cogs but never the other way.

I've heard it could be something to do with cable tension being a new bike?
Is that true?
If so, is there something I can do myself to stop this from happening as it is particularly dangerous when I am out of the saddle climbing and it suddenly jumps up a gear.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• dugliss
    dugliss Posts: 235
    I had this on my new giant and just took it into the shop to get the gears adjusted
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    dugliss wrote:
    I had this on my new giant and just took it into the shop to get the gears adjusted

could be cable tension,

don't take it to a LBS though - you tube is your friend here.
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • I was hoping to get advice on how to do it myself so I can learn and not have to rely on taking it to the shop all the time :)
  • rubertoe wrote:
    dugliss wrote:

could be cable tension,

don't take it to a LBS though - you tube is your friend here.

Will have a look on there, thanks.
    Hopefully it's easy to do.

Is this something that will need doing regularly do you know?
  • Could someone confirm that the following is correct please?

"If the rear derailleur tends to skip a gear when shifting to an easier gear, there is too much cable tension and the barrel adjuster (usually found where the cable meets the shifter or derailleur) should be screwed clockwise."

Thanks again.
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    nutter_bed wrote:
    Could someone confirm that the following is correct please?

"If the rear derailleur tends to skip a gear when shifting to an easier gear, there is too much cable tension and the barrel adjuster (usually found where the cable meets the shifter or derailleur) should be screwed clockwise."

Thanks again.

tis true,

have a look at sheldon brown

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/derailer-adjustment.html

he will explain all you need to do.
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • rubertoe wrote:
    nutter_bed wrote:
    Could someone confirm that the following is correct please?

Thanks again.

tis true,

have a look at sheldon brown

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/derailer-adjustment.html

he will explain all you need to do.

Brilliant, thanks.
    Will give it a go :)
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    We did this last week. Have a look at viewtopic.php?f=40020&t=12875258
  • g00se
    g00se Posts: 2,221
    If the bike is 5 weeks old - provided you bought it on a shop - it will be due for a visit back there for a quick check up and tighten. Most places will/should get you back in a month after buying the bike top check everything is tight and cables haven't stretched/settled. That should cover this.

As for remembering which way to turn the rear mech adjuster, turn the top of the barrel adjuster in the direction you want the chain to move more readily. Eg. If it's too eager to go onto the large sprockets and/or slow to get onto the small ones - turn the adjuster clockwise a smidge, in the direction towards the smaller sprockets. Or vice-versa.
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    Cable tension part of the bedding in process. My lbs told me this would happen, got me to bring it in after 100 miles and showed me how to do it myself. That's what lbs is for
  • All sorted now, thankg guys.
    Gears are now changinf smoothly when they're supposed to.

Another thing learnt to add to my list :)