Vuelta Stage 18 ****SPOILER****

13»

Comments

• 555-PIC307123743.jpg
    Daniele Bennati points to the sky in honor of late teammate Wouter Weylandt who won in Valladolid the last time the Vuelta finished here in 2008

085-RTR37KM8.jpg
    090-RTR37KM2.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,181
    Could Tiralongo (I assume that's him with Bert above) make it any more obvious that he is a Saxo domestique whose wages are being paid for by Astana? If I was Astana's DS I'd be p***ed off to see may rider so openly helping another team's leader without at least being gifted a stage in return! In fact, as I'd picked Tiralongo for PTP on Stage 17 I'm p***ed off anyway ;)
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Pross wrote:
    Could Tiralongo (I assume that's him with Bert above) make it any more obvious that he is a Saxo domestique whose wages are being paid for by Astana? If I was Astana's DS I'd be p***ed off to see may rider so openly helping another team's leader without at least being gifted a stage in return! In fact, as I'd picked Tiralongo for PTP on Stage 17 I'm p***ed off anyway ;)

Astana got good value out of Contador.
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    Plus we and journalists are talking about Tiralongo and Astana. Isn't that the ultimate point of pro bike racing?
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • Pross wrote:

I'm no fan of Contador, believe me, but for what Bruyneel and Armstrong did to him during the 09 Tour, could be argued that Astana owed him the help on Stage 18.
  • rick_chasey
    Pross wrote:

I'm no fan of Contador, believe me, but for what Bruyneel and Armstrong did to him during the 09 Tour, could be argued that Astana owed him the help on Stage 18.

He's bloody good is Contador. At that side of things as well. Won't have a rider say a bad word about him in today's peloton. Not that' I've heard anyway.
  • TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986
    He's bloody good is Contador. At that side of things as well. Won't have a rider say a bad word about him in today's peloton. Not that' I've heard anyway.

I watched the highlights of Wednesday's stage last night on ITV Player. Was interesting to see the awe that so many riders hold him in. Ten Dam was interviewed and said he did an amazing attack to break free and that he was a class rider. Roche said the speed of his break was insane and that no-one could get any where near him.
  • Yeah, whatever people on here may say, it is definitely the case that the majority of the peloton not only like him but respect his talent across many domains. The photographers love him as do those involved closely with the sport. As do the majortiy of the fans.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,314

I watched the highlights of Wednesday's stage last night on ITV Player. Was interesting to see the awe that so many riders hold him in. Ten Dam was interviewed and said he did an amazing attack to break free and that he was a class rider. Roche said the speed of his break was insane and that no-one could get any where near him.

There's nothing like hearing from the peers of a champion on the subject of that champion's exploits.

Even with the crashes, the pouring water over hot heads and the wobbles over the line on MTFs, it can still feel like we're getting a glamourised version of racing - with all the aerial shots and well directed sequences of colourful and bronzed athletes doing their best to look calm under pressure. If you've ever raced you'll know it's visceral and brutal and you'll feel like you're lungs and heart have switched roles and you literally nearly shat yourself after the last attack... I don't know if the telly will ever be able to convey that (or choose to).

I remember Evans mentioning how impressive Contador's attacks are. It's like when fighters talk about how hard a rival hits...
  • rick_chasey
    OCDuPalais wrote:

There's nothing like hearing from the peers of a champion on the subject of that champion's exploits.

Even with the crashes, the pouring water over hot heads and the wobbles over the line on MTFs, it can still feel like we're getting a glamourised version of racing - with all the aerial shots and well directed sequences of colourful and bronzed athletes doing their best to look calm under pressure. If you've ever raced you'll know it's visceral and brutal and you'll feel like you're lungs and heart have switched roles and you literally nearly shat yourself after the last attack... I don't know if the telly will ever be able to convey that (or choose to).

I remember Evans mentioning how impressive Contador's attacks are. It's like when fighters talk about how hard a rival hits...
    agreepost.gif
  • IanLD
    IanLD Posts: 423
    Yeah, whatever people on here may say, it is definitely the case that the majority of the peloton not only like him but respect his talent across many domains. The photographers love him as do those involved closely with the sport. As do the majortiy of the fans.

Now we know. FF is actually Sean Kelly
  • LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132
    IanLD wrote:
    Yeah, whatever people on here may say, it is definitely the case that the majority of the peloton not only like him but respect his talent across many domains. The photographers love him as do those involved closely with the sport. As do the majortiy of the fans.

Now we know. FF is actually Sean Kelly

You going the right way about getting a smack!
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'
  • OCDuPalais wrote:

agreepost.gif

+1
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    Its not defintely the case that the majority of the peloton like him, and not defintely the case that the majority of cycling fans like him. Well, unless someone has some facts and figures.

People who like him like to think he's liked by the majority. I don't like him, but that doesn't make me daft enough to say that the majority dislike him, and doesn't make me thick enough to say the majority like him either. Because such statements are personal guesswork with a slant to believing what that person wants to believe.

You can say one thing about Contador though, he makes up a cracking fairy story, and could have a good post-cycling career writing children's books.
  • mfin wrote:
    Its not defintely the case that the majority of the peloton like him, and not defintely the case that the majority of cycling fans like him. Well, unless someone has some facts and figures.

People who like him like to think he's liked by the majority. I don't like him, but that doesn't make me daft enough to say that the majority dislike him, and doesn't make me thick enough to say the majority like him either. Because such statements are personal guesswork with a slant to believing what that person wants to believe.

You can say one thing about Contador though, he makes up a cracking fairy story, and could have a good post-cycling career writing children's books.

6a010535c38f18970b010536c0588b970b-500pi.png

Can nobody have a conversation on here about Contador without somebody boring the hell out of us with 'dodgy beef' and 'he doped' sh*t?

I mean, I know Rich turns up on all of Frenchies threads just because he has some sort of hatred for Frenchie - though its only this week he stooped so low as making a 'needle' joke. But that's just become a given!

Plenty of bitterness about Contador, and its certainly understandable - but his talent is undeniable and some people appreciate that so can we have a discussion about the man that doesn't descend into a doping related argument?

Many of the older heads on here seem to forget that their beloved hero's of the past were all coked off their tits and smashed on amphetamines. Can't we let it be now?
  • Coriander
    Coriander Posts: 1,326
    I've really warmed to J-Rod during this race - he's been gracious, generous and modest in both victory and defeat. Kudos to him.
  • Coriander wrote:
    I've really warmed to J-Rod during this race - he's been gracious, generous and modest in both victory and defeat. Kudos to him.

+1

Couldn't have been easy to take defeat on a stage like that after defending the red jersey through the hardest stages of the race! Felt sorry for him, but he's over it already and no bad feelings at all. Top bloke.
  • mfin
    edited September 2012
    mfin wrote:

Can nobody have a conversation on here about Contador without somebody boring the hell out of us with 'dodgy beef' and 'he doped' sh*t?

I mean, I know Rich turns up on all of Frenchies threads just because he has some sort of hatred for Frenchie - though its only this week he stooped so low as making a 'needle' joke. But that's just become a given!

Plenty of bitterness about Contador, and its certainly understandable - but his talent is undeniable and some people appreciate that so can we have a discussion about the man that doesn't descend into a doping related argument?

Many of the older heads on here seem to forget that their beloved hero's of the past were all coked off their tits and smashed on amphetamines. Can't we let it be now?

You miss the point... and the point I was responding to.

The point is that Contador divides opinion, thats all. So, to state he sort of 'unifies opinion' in that the majority like him is a point with an agenda in itself - to sell the idea that AC is some sort of universally liked Cyclist. But he's not. He divides opinion, divides it as much or more as any current Cyclist.

I was only responding to a daft outlook with a bit of unblinkered reality. My post was not about doping.

PS. As for old heroes - a lot of us don't have heroes in cycling, don't idolise any of them, we just love the cycling and don't have to idolise people to get massive enjoyment out of the sport. (not the olympics, you might have loved a lot of that, but how many of the events had competitors you already saw as heroes??).
  • mfin wrote:
    mfin wrote:

You miss the point... and the point I was responding to.

The point is that Contador divides opinion, thats all. So, to state he sort of 'unifies opinion' in that the majority like him is a point with an agenda in itself - to sell the idea that AC is some sort of universally liked Cyclist. But he's not. He divides opinion, divides it as much or more as any current Cyclist.

I was only responding to a daft outlook with a bit of unblinkered reality.

Wasn't completely directed at you I must admit - its just there hasn't been a thread on here since the blokes return that hasn't been splattered by the angry mob and a whole heap of hatred. At the end of the day, Contador put in a classy ride the other day - it's hard not to come on here and praise that, in fact its pretty impossible.

I can see what you are saying about the blinkered opinions and yes, I know far more who dislike the man than like him - but i do get the impression that's not so amongst his peers.
  • mfin
    Wasn't completely directed at you I must admit - its just there hasn't been a thread on here since the blokes return that hasn't been splattered by the angry mob and a whole heap of hatred. At the end of the day, Contador put in a classy ride the other day - it's hard not to come on here and praise that, in fact its pretty impossible.

I can see what you are saying about the blinkered opinions and yes, I know far more who dislike the man than like him - but i do get the impression that's not so amongst his peers.

Well, there you go. If you look back you'll find me saying he's a brilliant cyclist, he is! BUT.. he's also a lot of other things as far as Im concerned (wont go into them).

Now, you see where you've said 'I know far more who dislike the man than like him', well, I could say exactly the same with no uncertainty at all! As for his peers, well, if you get that impression then fair enough, but he will divide opinion in the Peloton too, but you're not gonna hear people go on a rant about him, but you can bet your last quid that they will be there with their negative opinions on him as they will be as aware of what he's done.
  • ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,314

I thought it was opposite - because they remembered that their heroes were shown to be dodgy - that makes it so difficult for people to take Contador and his ilk's exploits on face value.

Cynics are pretty much all fallen romantics in my experience.
  • mattshrops
    mattshrops Posts: 1,134
    I think his likeability and undoubted talent is a lot of the problem. You've met the woman of your dreams then she sh@gs all your mates :shock:
    Death or Glory- Just another Story
  • rick_chasey
    mattshrops wrote:
    You've met the woman of your dreams then she sh@gs all your mates :shock:

Promiscuous taste?