Time trialling?

danowat
danowat Posts: 2,877
edited September 2012 in Road beginners
Interested to here what the "general" cycling community feels about TT'ing.

Have you tried time trialling?, if so, have you continued?, if not, why not
Would you like to try time trialling, if so, what is holding you back?.

Comments

• I find it difficult, mentally, to keep up the required effort on a 10 mile TT. I love riding in the mountains and can keep up the effort in those circumstances without (too much) trouble.

By build is more time trial-ist than mountain goat as well but I just cannot concentrate on a time trial.

I've tried one once and my local club are really into it so I should persevere but it just doesn't appeal.
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    Why start this thread in two places?
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • danowat
    Because I wanted to get as much exposure as possible, I imagine there are people (particularly new riders), who only frequent the beginners forum.
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    Fair enough :)
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • Haven't tried it but I'm going too at my local club as soon as I get some TT clip on bars. I'm better at sustaining 85% performance over 10 miles than the sportive rides but working on endurance more right now.
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    I've done some but don't get much out of having it proven that I'm older & slower than most of the racing snakes that turn up.
  • CiB wrote:
    I've done some but don't get much out of having it proven that I'm older & slower than most of the racing snakes that turn up.

So am I , but don't let that stop you. I did my first TT in 1957 and my last one 2 weeks ago.
  • imsimon
    imsimon Posts: 181
    i'd like to but if im honest feel a little intimidated! the local club ive seen doing them all seem pretty sh1t hot, and I really would look silly with a road bike never seen anything other than super duper racing snakes
  • danowat
    imsimon wrote:
    i'd like to but if im honest feel a little intimidated! the local club ive seen doing them all seem pretty sh1t hot, and I really would look silly with a road bike never seen anything other than super duper racing snakes

Took a little longer than anticipated, but we got there in the end!

This is exactly the kind of response I had expect, would you say the intimidation is purely down to the kit?.

FTR, you wouldn't look silly, and no one would think you were silly riding a road bike, thats how 99.9% of the TT'ers started
  • me-109
    me-109 Posts: 1,915
    Grill wrote:
    Why start this thread in two places?
    And why didn't you put it in 'Amateur Race', where you would at least have found an audience to answer your questions. Remember, not all roadies ride TT, some just RR.
  • I was intimidated at first but as it was my local club's last one at the end of August I decided to go along and give it a try.

Everyone was friendly, no one laughed at my 25 year old steel framed bike and I wasn't last. More surprisingly, I got round in under 30 mins which I was very happy with. I'm going to do it again next year, hopefully knock a few mins off that time.