Punctures "AGAIN"

Stu Coops
Stu Coops Posts: 426
edited September 2012 in MTB general
Hi Guys need some advice i ride a regular route being the Gap in Brecon which i'm sure a lot of you know, now when riding the descent which is not particularly difficult nor fast if you ride like me as I am not the most technical rider but for some reason and only in this area which is loose rocks i have had punctures the last two outings one of which i copped two within 100 metres of each other.

So a couple of questions the actual puncture is smack bang in the middle of the tube and the other side every time and not near the rim where i would expect if it was a pinch flat so is it either to much air or to little being around 30psi tyres are Highrollers or Racing Ralphs on XT rims as this happened with both sets of tyres i weigh 12.5 stone so not a heavyweight or is it just bad riding that's caused it as it has only happened on the last two trips and i do this route at least once a month.

Thanks
Zesty 514 Scott Scale 20 GT Expert HalfwayupMTB

Comments

• I wouldn't say you have too much air in your tyres. 30psi is fairly typical for your weight. I like my tyres at 45psi, but that is fairly hard for off-road (and I weigh 15st).

How worn are your tyres? That is the most common cause of punctures in my experience. Decent quality tubes and tyres which are in good condition should serve you well. That said, there are some sections of routes which have sharp gnarly rocks that will challenge any tyre. I've not tried 'em, but I hear tubeless rims and tyres are the best in really rocky areas. I'm sure someone else will advise you on this, but it's a pricey upgrade (rims, possibly spokes, wheel rebuild and of course the tyres).

I don't know the Brecon area, but if the rocks are kicking your ass, then it's a matter of improving your line choice too minimise the risk, which is pretty much down to experience.

Sorry if this is condescending, but remember to run your fingers round the inside of your tyre every time you fix a flat. If there is something sticking through your tyre it's just gonna puncture again.
  • I had similar problems not long ago. I had 5 punctures in 3 rides plus many more beforeb that, always pinch flats and I always ran at 40psi. My rides are generally pretty fast and rocky in the Dark Peak area of The Peak.

Firstly I upgraded my tyres from Nobby Nics to Hans Damph which have a much thicker sidewall and then went tubeless using the Stans no tubes kit. Best decision I have ever made! Totally transformed how I tackled the knarly stuff, now I just plough straight over it all. No pinch flats either. Amazingly my tyres were air tight before I even added any sealant!

Winner
    If you do what you have always done, you will get what you always got....
  • FunBus
    FunBus Posts: 394
    Stu, also not wanting to be condescending but....please use more commas and full stops in future posts. I nearly died reading your post through lack of air ;)

A lot seem to be opting for the tubeless option, which does seem to have the most positive affect. But, if you're not into tubeless, some new tyres fitted properly will help, but punctures will unfortunately always be a hazzard of the job.
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    If the puncture is on BOTH sides of the tube, that is a pinch flat. More air in your tyres or improve your technique.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • I am assuming these are rear punctures? And you say you are not riding fast?

Would it therefore be safe to assume you are perhaps using the back brake a fair bit?

Don't.

Rear brake and sharp rocky objects do not mix. Same on braking bumps, water bars etc braking heavily with rear pulls the wheel into the impact and encourages snake bites. Too many riders have excessively high powered brakes and no technique resulting in damaged wheels and many punctures. In my opinion.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • I am assuming these are rear punctures? And you say you are not riding fast?

Would it therefore be safe to assume you are perhaps using the back brake a fair bit?

Don't.

Rear brake and sharp rocky objects do not mix. Same on braking bumps, water bars etc braking heavily with rear pulls the wheel into the impact and encourages snake bites. Too many riders have excessively high powered brakes and no technique resulting in damaged wheels and many punctures. In my opinion.

Would certainly make sense of it as i do brake a lot going over the rocky stuff so thanks for the advice
    Zesty 514 Scott Scale 20 GT Expert HalfwayupMTB
  • Something else you may wish to consider which might prevent punctures is thicker inner tubes, usually downhill specific. There isnt a massive weight difference, and the benefits are obvious.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... tedKingdom