Skip Lorries

mick_cornick
mick_cornick Posts: 175
edited September 2012 in Commuting chat
Just read this and thought it was the usual LH blind side but........is it me or are all skip Lorries driven by maniacs?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-surrey-19491400

Comments

• asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    That was at the end of my road.

There was a girl being cut out of her car there two weeks ago. It's not a great junction.

As for skip lorry drivers; they get paid per delivery. The more deliveries in a day the more they get paid. They rush.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • jedster
    jedster Posts: 1,717
    What Asprilla said.
    I always give Skip trucks, aggregate tippers and cement mixers a REALLY wide berth
  • I wouldn't trust a tipper driver as far as I could throw him, and that wouldn't be far becau... I won't stereotype.

I used to work as a site engineer and witnessed some truly special (read - god-awful) driving by tippers on a daily basis. One chap from our site over took me (me in a site car) and then swiftly cut me up, me needing to throw the anchor out the window, on a single lane each-way road which was under site rules of "no-overtaking" into on-coming traffic, as I was going the speed limit - monitored by averaging cameras. If site rules were broken they'd get kicked off the job immediately, but to risk doing it around a Principal Contractor's car is just silly business.

I don't go anywhere near them on my bike because I know what they can be like (not to mention poor visibility from the cab), but I do worry a fair bit when I see cyclists infront of me diving down the inside of a tipper/lorry/skip on the approach to junctions or left turns as quickly as they would if the road was traffic-free.

It'd make me so late for work having to give witness statements.
    Canyon Roadlite
    Boardman Hybrid
    Dolan FXE
  • jedster
    jedster Posts: 1,717
    "but to risk doing it around a Principal Contractor's car is just silly business."

!!!
    Just imagine what he got upto when you weren't around...
  • Well he wasn't around after that!
    Canyon Roadlite
    Boardman Hybrid
    Dolan FXE
  • Had the day off yesterday, and was heading down to that junction just as the Police were coning it off. Didn't get close enough to see anything. As someone has said, it's not a great junction, and most vehicleson Rydens unless turning off, do more than the set speed limit.

I got hit by a artic' lorry about 3 years ago trying to turn left in to Rydens Road, just as the lorry got level with the junction (despite seeing me - The driver said that he saw me), he decided to move over to go round a cyclist on his side.

From experience, quite a fe people coming down from Molesey seem to use it as a cut through so as to avoid the Traffic that goes straight into Walton town centre.

Think I will be keeping this story away from the other half, I use that junction quite a bit on the bike
  • Paul E
    Paul E Posts: 2,052
    I saw a nice bit of driving while coming out of tesco on lower regent street a skip lorry came up the street and turned left down the road down the side of tesco, going quicker than he should of been for the amount of people about and instead of slowing for the turn, no he just beeped a few times before going round the corner some of which is blind till you are round it.