Pros and their power meters

rozzer32
rozzer32 Posts: 3,920
edited September 2012 in Pro race
We all know the benefits of using a power meter to train etc and I don't want to start a debate on that.

But I've noticed at the Vuleta some using them, some not and some weird habits.

J Rod hasn't used one at all. Contador used power cranks but no computer in the mountain stages, today he had a srm computer but normal cranks.

Surely today would have been a perfect day for power as you could measure your effort, in Contadors case not to go into the red and blow, and in J Rod's case to limit the damage.

Now this is only what I've noticed watching the TV pictures so I could be completely wrong but it does seem strange to me.

Anyone shed some light?
***** Pro Tour Pundit Champion 2020, 2018, 2017 & 2011 *****

Comments

• Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    Might be a sponsorship thing possibly? As you say, can't see much benifit out on course, would have thought heartbeat and cadence would be more important but I may be wrong.
  • phil s
    phil s Posts: 1,128
    How are heartbeat and cadence remotely more important than power?
    -- Dirk Hofman Motorhomes --
  • Paul 8v
    I did say I may be wrong ;-) It was my understanding that riders tried to ride at certain cadences andwithin certain heartbeat perameters. I thought I'd seen a lot of heart monitor straps under jerseys in races, not so many power meters but I may be mistaken
  • Paul 8v
    I mean for example (And I know this won't be a popular example given the present circumatances) didn't Armstrong aim to pedal at about 110rpm? Would riders look at cadence on a computer or just do it by feel? Tried to look at some more recent examples like Wiggins but it's just coming up with other forums moaning about Sky "Doping"...
    There seem to be a load of guys on here that know everything there is to know about these sort of things so I'm sure someone will have the answer, that was just my stab at it!
  • Paul 8v wrote:
    I mean for example (And I know this won't be a popular example given the present circumatances) didn't Armstrong aim to pedal at about 110rpm? Would riders look at cadence on a computer or just do it by feel? Tried to look at some more recent examples like Wiggins but it's just coming up with other forums moaning about Sky "Doping"...
    There seem to be a load of guys on here that know everything there is to know about these sort of things so I'm sure someone will have the answer, that was just my stab at it!
    Hi Paul,

Armstrong merely aimed to ride in a way that produced the most power regardless of cadence. Most riders will go by feel during a race and not rely on HR or cadence to any extent.

Cheers
  • rozzer32
    rozzer32 Posts: 3,920
    TONY.M wrote:
    Paul 8v wrote:
    Hi Paul,

Armstrong merely aimed to ride in a way that produced the most power regardless of cadence. Most riders will go by feel during a race and not rely on HR or cadence to any extent.

Cheers

But we know Team Sky in TdF just sat on the front of the pelton riding to numbers. Wiggins let attacks go and wouldn't go over a certain value of watts so he knew he wouldn't blow. Just interesting to see how different riders use their power meter.
    ***** Pro Tour Pundit Champion 2020, 2018, 2017 & 2011 *****
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 7,402
    You obviously need to understand the data and what it means to your own situation. Maybe some can interpret that whilst on the bike, and some can't. Maybe some don't have the non-race data to compare with.
    I guess having the track background might help with the data interpretation, whereas a lifelong road racer may prefer to ride by feel.