2 weeks in...

Syd_65
Syd_65 Posts: 21
edited September 2012 in Road beginners
Just a little over 2 weeks since I took my first cycle ride in around 30 years...I think all hope of rescue from this new obsession is long gone. And at 47 it's a question I keep asking myself, what took me so long?
I've been out 2-3 times each week and am slowly building, at the 25 mile point and ready for a bit more.
Last 2 rides I started getting calf cramps at around the hour mark, was puzzled as to why (reasonably fit, ran regularly, stretch and hydrate etc.) Interesting thing happened this evening, I took the plunge and bought some spd pedals and a pair of Sidis last week on the basis that the sooner I get used to the clipless system the better, and fitted them yesterday, got the cleats positioned in what I thought (and have found to be) a good place having followed several articles on the subject.
Set off for a 25 mile bimble involving some hills and such and finished the ride without a twinge. Am wondering if the cause of the cramps was my struggling to stop a pretty unfit for purpose pair of very flexible trainers and equally unhelpful pedals from slipping around?
Has anyone else had a similar experience?

Comments

• Peddle Up!
    Peddle Up! Posts: 2,040
    Nah! It's the Demon of Wiggle that's eased your cramps so you have both hands free to open your wallet. :twisted:

And you'll need them. :)
    Purveyor of "up" :)
  • I used to get calf cramps due to lack of salt. Work rather than cycling related. Since I took up cycling I have used electrolyte tablets in my bottles and not had a single cramp.
    (touch wood ;))
    "You really think you can burn off sugar with exercise?" downhill paul
  • Peddle Up! wrote:
    Nah! It's the Demon of Wiggle that's eased your cramps so you have both hands free to open your wallet. :twisted:

And you'll need them. :)

That's what I like about this forum, no need to complicate matters or get bound up in technicalities, just get straight to the point no messing! :lol:
  • I used to get calf cramps due to lack of salt. Work rather than cycling related. Since I took up cycling I have used electrolyte tablets in my bottles and not had a single cramp.
    (touch wood ;))

Not a bad idea either Charlie, been looking at these...any recommendations?
  • Peddle Up!
    Peddle Up! Posts: 2,040
    Syd_65 wrote:
    I used to get calf cramps due to lack of salt. Work rather than cycling related. Since I took up cycling I have used electrolyte tablets in my bottles and not had a single cramp.
    (touch wood ;))

I find Nuun lemon and lime quite palatable and effective.
    Purveyor of "up" :)
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    Peddle Up! wrote:
    I find Nuun lemon and lime quite palatable and effective.
    Satan's urine them. IMHO. The raspberry ones aren't too bad; equally look out for some tabs called ZERO which are ok. Realistically though on 1-2 hour rides you shouldn't be needing these things. << That's not a criticism, more a suggestion that there's not a great need to shell out shed loads of money on £100+ shorts, chamois cream, electrolyte tabs and energy bars & gels to do shortish rides. They help on long rides. Less than a couple of hours, probably not.

:)
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    keep drinking and eating for the longer rides.

Shorter rides this is less important as CiB suggests.

Re-food. Anything you can stow away easily that has a bit of energy.

For me Frusli bars, cereal bars, golden syrup cake, etc all work fine.
  • @Rick - good advice, pretty much what I'd reckoned but anyone who recommends golden syrup cake is on a winner ;)

@CiB - agree about requirements or lack thereof on shorter rides, I was looking for a heads up as I'm building and the rides will get progressively longer. £100+ shorts? No chance, well not till I've shed some winter plumage anyhow! Got myself kitted out with some sensibly priced Altura gear which seems quite adequate at the moment...

Great advice though fellas, keep it coming!
  • bananas are always good, storage can be a problem, fig rolls provide a good hit, and are easily stored,don't squash or melt, and are very cheap
  • Syd_65 wrote:
    I used to get calf cramps due to lack of salt. Work rather than cycling related. Since I took up cycling I have used electrolyte tablets in my bottles and not had a single cramp.
    (touch wood ;))

I use High5 zero calorie Berry flavour or Pink Grapefruit at a push :)

I have a physical job and I can sweat a lot of salt out in the hot weather. Same with the cycling.
    Seems to work for me and they are only £6ish for a pack of 20.

For what its worth I tried some of their other products during last Sundays Sportive.

High5 2:1 Energy source (Drink mix) .........Tasted Horrid
    High5 Energy Gel Citrus and High5 Energy Gel Raspberry with caffeine..... tasted okay and really easy to consume.
    High5 4:1 Recovery Drink mix....... Tasted nice and seemed to work well.
    Also SIS Energize bar Chocolate and Orange... Tasted a bit bland and hard to eat on the move.

I tried these as they were samples but to be honest I prefer flapjacks on the longer rides as they taste nice , easy to eat and do the job well.
    "You really think you can burn off sugar with exercise?" downhill paul