jeannot18
jeannot18 Posts: 720
edited September 2012 in MTB buying advice
Giant Trance X4 (2011)
http://www.paulscycles.co.uk/products.php?show=3504

and

Giant Trance X3 (2012)
http://www.paulscycles.co.uk/products.p ... 1b0s1p4426

Is it really worth spending the extra? My initial plan was to get the X4 and upgrade as I went along - as advised by a couple of guys on the forum (probably replacing when it gets broken). Bearing in mind that I am a mediocre rider, and quite conservative with my riding. I think that the X4 will be enough bike for me and my riding. Unless the extra £320 is really worth it.
Thanks
JC
Pédale ou crève
Specialized Elite Allez with 105
Rockrider 8.1 : )

Comments

• mcnultycop
    mcnultycop Posts: 2,143
    It's better to pay the money now as it will work out more expensive to upgrade in the long run. I think I'd prefer the Fork on the more expensive model (it's an air fork as opposed to coil, isn't it?). If I could afford it I'd always get the dearer one.
  • Impossible to say really. Do you want to pay £300 for a better, lighter bike? Personally I'd get the best bike I could afford.
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • supersonic wrote:
    Maybe an Anthem if you plan to ride mainly XC?

http://www.paulscycles.co.uk/products.p ... 1b4s1p3494

Oh no, don't make the dilemma any harder :D
    Nice bike too, i just like the look of the Trance, plus eventually my riding will get better (?) and I would like a bike that is going to cover different type of riding even if it is not just right now.
    JC
    Pédale ou crève
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    And to throw another spanner in the works ;-)

http://www.bike-discount.de/shop/k1866/ ... n-7-0.html

This is sort of in between the Anthem and Trance on travel, and at the top of your budget - but look at the spec and weight!
  • That looks sweet!

To the OP - If you get any of these bikes I willing to put money on the fact the bike #1 will never get ridden again (out of choice) :cry:

Trek Session 8
  • ...so sell it and put the money towards a better bike #2 :D

Trek Session 8
  • supersonic wrote:
    And to throw another spanner in the works ;-)

http://www.bike-discount.de/shop/k1866/ ... n-7-0.html

This is sort of in between the Anthem and Trance on travel, and at the top of your budget - but look at the spec and weight!
    Hmmm not sure, components and weight are surely at the top, but I prefer the look of the Trance
    To the OP - If you get any of these bikes I willing to put money on the fact the bike #1 will never get ridden again (out of choice) :cry:

You may be right but I love my RR8.1! :D And to be honest what would I get for it, I prefer to keep it as a back up, I do a local loop 1 or 2 times a week that has nothing technical so I could always use it for that or lend it to some family members that come to visit us.
    JC
    Pédale ou crève
  • Good plan! I'm liking the selection though. Think I'd go for the Anthem X3 that sonic found myself

Trek Session 8
  • Last night I was still debating on which one to go for, setting my heart onthe X3 2011, slightly more expensive but slightly better components, and then I made the mistake (?) of having a look at the Canyon website, and I saw the Nerve AM 6.0. It is cheaper (£1239 + P&P) compared to the X3 (£1429 + P&P), that £200 is quite a bit and I could treat myself to a nice pair of pedals, probably the trusted MG1.
    God I don't really know what to do now. I like the look of both, I won't be able to try either of them. Both receive very good review, and owners say how good their bike are. Right now the saving is what makes me go towards the Canyon.
    What do you think guys?
    JC
    Pédale ou crève
  • Personally I'd go for the Canyon but that's because #1 - I need an AM bike for where I'm riding and #2 - I already have a Trek bike - even though it's a DH bike

But don't base your decision on me as I'm gonna base my forthcoming AM build on a Titus El Guapo frame instead on a Nukeproof Mega for the sole reason that I already have a Nukeproof bike - even though it's a Sanp and bears no resemblance to the Mega whatsoever :?

Trek Session 8
  • Thanks Felix. The financial aspect makes the scale go towards the Canyon... I guess both are great bikes and will deliver years of happy riding.
    JC
    Pédale ou crève
  • Finally took the jump, and bought a Canyon AM Nerve 7.0 second hand. I wanted the 6.0 but it was unfortunately out of stock from Canyon. The Nerve 7.0 brand new was just too much money.
    The guy that was selling me the Giant was not able to get the bike. So found the Nerve 7.0 second hand and went ahead. Financially it was a better deal for me. Ordered some Mg1 to go on it, now just can't wait to receive it...
    JC
    Pédale ou crève