Garmin 800

CiB
CiB Posts: 6,098
edited September 2012 in Commuting chat
Having discovered a) a lump of spare cash at the back of a cupboard* that needs spending, and b) that OH gets 20% off at an outlet that sells them, I'm struggling to find a reason why I shouldn't get a Garmin, and an 800 at that. Obvious justification is that it's a new toy that I can use to have a go at this Strava business, and OH can go GeoShopping or something with it looking for Easter Eggs in the local woods. I might even get hooked on its elevation and include Climb data in SC Stats for next year.

There seems to be a humongous variation in packages, costing from quite a lot to blimey that's a lot. So what's what? Do I need to buy all the maps or do these Open Source versions work just as well? Do all variations come with HRM and cadence? I know there's a search option but things change, and I'm after real world experience from a Hive Mind that I can [largely] trust, not some random web review written by a 14-y-o who's never actually seen one in the flesh.

Opinions sought...

C.

*metaphorically, obviously.

Comments

• asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    Don't pay for the maps unless you need western Europe as there are very good free versions available for the uk.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    Do you have an Ant+ heart rate monitor?
    Do you have an Ant+ cadence monitor?

If yes to either of those then get the basic package and as Asprilla says, use the OSM maps.

If you don't but want them, get the pack with those in.

If you want plug and play maps (like I did), get the City Navigator one.

If you want everything, get the one with all of the above.

Easy!
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    General concensus appears to be - Don't pay for the maps. I did. :oops:

I find the heart rate monitor and cadence sensor to be very useful. Others don't. YMMV.
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • How have people found the general waterproofness of the 800? Colleague has had one and he's really pi55ed off that it leaks like a seive...
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    edited September 2012
    First ride was 3 hours in the pissing rain, worked great, except some grit scratched the screen :| buy a screen protector.

Other than that, get one! Again, don't bother with the maps and if you have some Ant+ devices already, even better. I don't bother.
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    Wrath Rob wrote:
    Do you have an Ant+ heart rate monitor?
    Do you have an Ant+ cadence monitor?

If yes to either of those then get the basic package and as Asprilla says, use the OSM maps.

If you don't but want them, get the pack with those in.

If you want plug and play maps (like I did), get the City Navigator one.

If you want everything, get the one with all of the above.

Easy!

Talkie Toaster does a set of drag and drop Open Street Map project maps for the UK that are as good as the Garmin ones.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    I used the OpenStreet /toaster maps. Very easy to do, and the maps can be set up (through another simple procedure) to show in the Gamrin software on your PC. Though it's easier to use bikeroutetoaster or bikehike to plan routes.

The free maps are great IME, though I've not been out to any proper bits of wilderness (eg, the Highlands) so don't know how comprehensive they are.

HRM and Cadence is good, you need to know what to do with all the data I guess, but on my recent 'test' rides to see if my knee is still fubared I've just gone "with keep rpm around 90 and keep HR under 150" to avoid overdoing it.

It's expensive, but it is good. Apparently the mounts that put the unit ahead of the stem are a lot better than the stock one, but I'm still waiting for Wiggle to get stock so can't confirm that yet.

So, get HRM and Cadence, download and install the free maps for the country/countries you ride in, then enjoy.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • gabriel959
    gabriel959 Posts: 4,227
    Rumour says that Garmin is going to launch a refresh to the 800 before the end of the year. I am waiting personally.
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
    Commuting / Winter rides - Jamis Renegade Expert
    Pootling / Offroad - All-City Macho Man Disc
    Fast rides Cannondale SuperSix Ultegra
  • CiB
    That might explain why there seems to be so many offers on for it then. 20% off at 'our' outlet about pulls it down to some offer prices.
  • wongataa
    wongataa Posts: 1,001
    Asprilla wrote:
    Talkie Toaster does a set of drag and drop Open Street Map project maps for the UK that are as good as the Garmin ones.
    OSM maps can be good. In some areas though they are missing data. If you want OSM maps then check out the areas you are interested in on their website to check if the coverage is good enough. If it isn't you might want to get the City Navigator maps or add the missing details to the OSM maps yourself.
  • CiB
    So <dons thicko's hat> how do the OSM maps, or the City Navigator maps, or the (IIRC but busy can't really spend any time Googling at the mo) 1:50000 maps supplied as standard, how do they differ? Is it scale, or the accuracy and detail?

A lot of the outlets are keen to announce the different mapping supplied but there's precious little detail on what a buying decision should be based on.

I know I now sound like a What's The Best Bike? noob on Road Beginners. Bear with me. :)
  • Get one. They are utterly brilliant. I've had mine for a while now and it's been perfect. Completely watertight. I'd suggest getting the City Navigator map package. It's no faff and works very well - I've used to to great effect in the French Alps, the Pyrenees and even Cyprus.

Also, why not add elevation to the SC Stats now? I suspect Ed Francis would be near the top of that particular table...
  • CiB
    Think you're right IP. It looks like the maps are already bundled in anyway with the HRM + cadence so effectively it's not an argument which maps to buy.
    Also, why not add elevation to the SC Stats now? I suspect Ed Francis would be near the top of that particular table...
    Cos I'd have to come up with a documented proposal, signed off CR, and then schedule the development time into a hectic and busy schedule. Mainly though because I need to work out what's involved and how to present it. I'll raise it on the Stats thread, once I've got one and can see what's what.
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    CiB wrote:
    So <dons thicko's hat> how do the OSM maps, or the City Navigator maps, or the (IIRC but busy can't really spend any time Googling at the mo) 1:50000 maps supplied as standard, how do they differ? Is it scale, or the accuracy and detail?

The OSM maps vary in detail, because it depends on which volunteer's added them and how fastidious they are. Germany, for example, is very, very complete. To get an idea of how complete your area is likely to be, head over to http://opencyclemap.org/ and look around. If the areas you're interested in are rather well detailed (and I'd imagine they are) then it's quite like that the OSM maps are "better" by some measure than the pay-for maps. FWIW, scale doesn't matter as they're all (AFAIK) vector maps when copied to the device, so you can zoom in/out freely.
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    I love my Garmin 800, if I lost it today I'd replace it tomorrow. I can't really fault it.
  • mtb-idle
    mtb-idle Posts: 2,179
    I too have been Garmin and Strava curious for some time now.

I was in Decathlon in Lisieux (Normandy) last week and spotted an end of the line Garmin in a cabinet reduced to sell for 60 Euros. Blimey i thought, i gotta have that. I decided to google the make on my blackberry (I think it was a Garmin etrex legend (or possibly vista) Hcx) to check RRP and other current offers and also what the functionality was.

I was confused when it said it came with a pre-loaded map of the atlantic. Then it said it came with tide timetables as well and i realised it was for boat navigation. punchballs.gif

No doubt one of you fellas would have known how to make it work for road/mtb riding but I really couldnt be arsed to even consider it and walked away feeling slightly disappointed...
    FCN = 4
  • The DC Rainmaker review is always worth a look for anyone considering a cycling/running GPS:

http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2010/08/garm ... -look.html

"in depth" is an understatement!
  • duplicate
  • wongataa
    wongataa Posts: 1,001
    CiB wrote:
    The 1:50,000 maps are from the Ordnance Survey and are the same as the Landranger series of paper maps. The City Navigator maps are the same as you get with Garmin's car sat-navs. The OSM maps are made by people who fancy going out and recording roads etc where thay have been with a GPS receiver. This means coverage can be variable but that you can also fix errors yourself if you wish to. OSM maps don't have the address navigation of the City Navigator maps built in though. You can add postcode data yourself though.

The OSM and City navigator maps are vector maps so they don't have a scale. You just zoom to the level you require with no loss of detail.
  • OSM maps are v good on the 800, and in many ways easier to work in town than other maps - but i bought the 1:50k OS maps in a bundle cos i already had HR and Cadence and i wanted to use the 800 for hill walking and out back stuff.

one thing you gotta say for OS maps- they're really good looking maps, and i'm the kind of refined fellow who apreciates a bit of top class cartography. :D
  • Monkeypump
    Monkeypump Posts: 1,528
    Just got mine and used it for first time today - Edge 800 Performance and Navigation bundle. Haven't used HRM, but everything else seems brilliant. I also struggled to find any guidance on which maps I would need, and now have the City Navigator Europe. This seems fine (early days, obviously), and will be good for some ride abroad next year. From what I read, the OS maps are better for off-road.

Was a bit fiddly to set up, but not as bad as some of the reviews suggest. Once set up though, it's really easy to use and has all the data you could want (no power meter for me, but it does pair with them apparently).

Like the OP I had a recent cash injection which paid for ine, but I really wish I got one sooner. Would definitely recommend it, and the Gamin Connect is quite good for looking at all the data too.