Ignore me

Doobz
Doobz Posts: 2,800
edited September 2012 in Pro race
Sorry.. Just got in! realised its old news.. Must not go out riding my bike all day :roll: :roll:
cartoon.jpg

Comments

• TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986
    edited September 2012
    Sounds like BS to me. WTF would Cav want to go to Katusha for? :roll:

:roll: Not directed at you BTW x
  • Not according to Piva.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/cavendi ... -says-piva

Edit: oops, beaten to it and missed your ninja edit.
  • TMR
    andyp wrote:

Surprised that Sky would enforce the buy-out TBH. If they know they can't give him the best opportunities then they should give him a free pass to which ever team wants him. The alternative is to allow a British World Champion to fester and that would be despicable.
  • Yeah, I'd have to agree. VERY bad for the team's image if the sponsor tries to enforce that, would go down like a lead ballooon.
  • I still don't understand why Cav is regarded as having had an unsuccessful year or why he would want to leave Sky.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • andyp wrote:

Surprised that Sky would enforce the buy-out TBH. If they know they can't give him the best opportunities then they should give him a free pass to which ever team wants him. The alternative is to allow a British World Champion to fester and that would be despicable.

I would be surprised if they let him go without a buy out. Why let him go to your competition without some cash! Oh and he won't be a World Champ next year. :wink:
  • I still don't understand why Cav is regarded as having had an unsuccessful year or why he would want to leave Sky.

Not won very much this year...

He had 6/7 goals this year:

KBK - achieved
    MSR - fail (and nowt to do with the team in that instance)
    GW - fail
    GC win - achieved
    stage wins at Tour - partially successful but 2 less than his average of 5
    green jersey - whatever he said otherwise, he did hope he could defend it
    Olympic gold - fail

Also think that a big thing is that he's not used to not being the centre of attention in a team. At the pressers in the Tour, he was a distant 3rd for who the media wanted to talk to, it was all about Wiggins and Froome. And he's not used to that, he thrives on the attention. Love him or hate him, that's part of him.

Dunno but I've a feeling that wherever he ends up for the next couple of years, he's not going to be happy because he'll want things to be just as they were for him at HTC - the whole team built around him, him numero uno and perfect lead-outs with the best pilot-fish to help preventing him from keep on hitting the tarmac.
  • oh, and red jersey at the Giro. Which he'd had got if he hadnt under-estimated Guardini.
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 7,402
    I was going to ignore you, until I real the rest of the thread! :D
  • Doobz
    Doobz Posts: 2,800
    haha, here is what I was reading but then fired up CN and saw it was there so thought it would have been on here already...

http://www.cyclismactu.net/news-transfe ... 27395.html
    cartoon.jpg

He had 6/7 goals this year:

KBK - achieved
    MSR - fail (and nowt to do with the team in that instance)
    GW - fail
    GC win - achieved
    stage wins at Tour - partially successful but 2 less than his average of 5
    green jersey - whatever he said otherwise, he did hope he could defend it
    Olympic gold - fail

On that, he's no going to win 5 stages at the Tour every year, it's not possible. The Green Jersey was a different beast this year. Sagan saw to that.

Olympic Gold, I'm amazed he and everyone else promoted himself so heavily for that, 9 times out of 10, that course comes down to the sort of riders we saw at the end.

For me, it just seems perverse that you would take yourself out of an environment that has had at least a hand in all your success so far (as far as the Ellingworth and Brailsford connection goes)to chance your arm elsewhere.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • Dont disagree at all. But I'll put good money on him believing that if he has a team built around him going after green at next year's Tour, he'll get it. I know, I know..
  • On that, he's no going to win 5 stages at the Tour every year, it's not possible. The Green Jersey was a different beast this year. Sagan saw to that.

But that's how he'll always be judged. It's like saying Boonen failed last year because he didn't win Flanders and Roubaix.
    Olympic Gold, I'm amazed he and everyone else promoted himself so heavily for that, 9 times out of 10, that course comes down to the sort of riders we saw at the end.

Don't really agree with Richmond Racer's goal list, think the target for this year was the Olympics. He might as well have had a go, could be his final chance to get a gold medal.
  • On that, he's no going to win 5 stages at the Tour every year, it's not possible. The Green Jersey was a different beast this year. Sagan saw to that.

But that's how he'll always be judged. It's like saying Boonen failed last year because he didn't win Flanders and Roubaix.

Better prepare himself for a long lasting dose of disappointment.

@gietvangent
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    On that, he's no going to win 5 stages at the Tour every year, it's not possible. The Green Jersey was a different beast this year. Sagan saw to that.

Better prepare himself for a long lasting dose of disappointment.

Greased is correct.

Don't really agree with Richmond Racer's goal list, think the target for this year was the Olympics. He might as well have had a go, could be his final chance to get a gold medal.

Agree, the gold medal was the ultimate and top goal. But some of the other ones were steps along the way planned out with Ellingworth (bascially going on what Cav's said in interviews early half of the year), and others were his own, more personal goals. Oh well, its all done now anyway.
  • TMR
    For me, it just seems perverse that you would take yourself out of an environment that has had at least a hand in all your success so far (as far as the Ellingworth and Brailsford connection goes)to chance your arm elsewhere.

I think Cav owes far more to Bob Stapleton for the success he's had on the road than to Ellingworth or Brailsford.