Advice on wheelset

Nunotoa
Nunotoa Posts: 4
edited September 2012 in MTB buying advice
Hi everyone,

I'm getting a new wheelset for my mtb. I think it was Keith Bontrager that said, "Cheap, light, strong, pick two..." , and in that basis i have to go with cheap and strong... My buget can go to around 200 euros ( 158 £ ) and i manly do XC so, i realy dont need a super tuff rim...

I saw a set of shimano xt m-756 hub with mavic xc 717 rims, that i thouht was nice, but in other forums i read, that the xt hub is not that durable... Does any of you have this hub??

Can anyone suggest a durable wheelset within this buget?

thanks, in advance...

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Keep what you have, you will get no better for the money. The hubs are very durable, though you need to service them every so often.
  • Thanks Supersonic...
    when you say, "keep what you have...", i guess you're refering to the Mavic/shimano wheels... because i don't have them... i'll problably buy them...
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    What do you have?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • I`ve run that combo for 5 years.Tough as old boots,though you do need to take the hubs apart and regrease them and make sure they are correctly adjusted once in a while because Shimano use traditional up and cone bearings,not cartridge bearings like others.

If you aren`t handy with spannering done`t buy yhem.If you can wield a spanner and do preventative maintenance that combo will last for years.
    2006 Giant XTC
    2010 Giant Defy Advanced
    2016 Boardman Pro 29er
    2016 Pinnacle Lithium 4
    2017 Canondale Supersix Evo
  • hi...

i have a combo with cannondale hubs e and 717 mavic rims. They came stock in a Cannondale bike of a friend. I bought them in 2'nd hand, but they have +/- 10 years. They were very good, but recently i've crashed and totaled the rims... Its defininetly time for new wheels...

The Spiderman: I manage most fixes and tunes, but have never serviced a hub... if its only to degrease and clean, and then re-grease the bearings. i'll have no problems...

thanks guys...
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    Have had no issues with my 20mm XT/XM719 wheels other than the front hub falling through the wheel due to rider error :)

Bought them from Merlin March 2010 have adjusted the (rear) hub once in +4000 off-road miles