Head tube angle?

dflash
dflash Posts: 32
edited September 2012 in MTB buying advice
Hi guys, a friend of mine want's to buy a new fork for his MTB a 2012 specialized hardrock sport disc. So what's the ideal travel for his bike? He rides Trail. I suggested him to get a fork with max 120mm travel because more than that he gets out of geometry. The head tube angle is 70.25°. So can he get a fork with travel more than 120 mm ( like 150 mm)?

Comments

• who knows?

I'd say 100mm but I run a '06 Rockhopper with a 120mm and it's spot on. Specialized will probably tell him 100mm or he'll void any warranty.

150mm would be ridiculous though - the thing would probably ride like a pig. The bike was designed for 80-100mm I guess. What fork is on there now?
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • ...btw it's not only head angle that will change but the BB height too.

The measurement that's important is the axle-to-crown measurement. For instance I went from a 105mm to a 120mm but the a2c height only increased by 10mm - might've slackened the HA by 1° but that suited my type of riding and terrain anayway

Trek Session 8
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    In a word no. As felix says, it will likely ride like a dog, and more worryingly might rip your frame in half. 120 is as far as I would go on that frame.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    ...btw it's not only head angle that will change but the BB height too.

The measurement that's important is the axle-to-crown measurement. For instance I went from a 105mm to a 120mm but the a2c height only increased by 10mm - might've slackened the HA by 1° but that suited my type of riding and terrain anayway
    and seat tube angle and center of gravity.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • indeed. So basically the whole f.ing shooting match!

Trek Session 8