Whats wrong with my forks?

jackrmee
jackrmee Posts: 14
edited September 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi, I'm new to this forum and although I've had mountain bikes for years, I really haven't known much about them.

I am having a little problem with my forks.
When I am riding and I lift the front wheel, they bottom out.
I used to have a Carerra Vulcan which used to do the same but I thought it may be because it's a cheaper bike. But it's happening on my Giant Yukon which I recentely bought 2nd hand. The forks are Suntou XCM.

Is it normal? If not how can I fix it? Shall I just put the forks on lockout for now?

Comments

• estampida
    estampida Posts: 1,008
    as you lift the front wheel the forks extend and then stop....

that's what they are meant to do, less spring will stop it shooting to full extension

getting the bumper to be quiet... err grease or maybe its worn out (spares could be available)
  • estampida wrote:
    as you lift the front wheel the forks extend and then stop....

that's what they are meant to do, less spring will stop it shooting to full extension

getting the bumper to be quiet... err grease or maybe its worn out (spares could be available)

Ahh right I see, so it's just a bumper on the bottom of the forks. Not a big deal then?
  • Adjusting the rebound might help, unless of course they are fixed in which case you will have to live with it.
    Its relativly normal in that price bracket of fork IMHO.
    Bird AM Zero (On Order :D )
    Canyon Nerve AM 7.0 (stolen :evil: )
    Cube Road SL
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    Its normal for those forks, unless you are fortunate enough to have the version with rebound damping. Does the fork have a rebound damping adjustment? If not, then the bottom out is there for life. Sorry.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Most XCMs have no damping.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    It's top out by the way, bottom out is fully compressed.

As SS says many (most) XCM have no damping and are renowned for top out clunk, ironically the lastest Vulcan has XCM's WITH damping and doesn't (well nowhere near as badly).
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • benpinnick wrote:
    Its normal for those forks, unless you are fortunate enough to have the version with rebound damping. Does the fork have a rebound damping adjustment? If not, then the bottom out is there for life. Sorry.

It just has the lockout on and off i think.
    I dont really mind about it for the time being. I'm hoping to upgrade the bike soon anyway as it's a bit big for me.
    Thanks guys