Mamil

Magaz97
Magaz97 Posts: 2
edited September 2012 in Road beginners
My first visit to the forum. I guess I am the typical Mamil; (that I have recently heard about). This cycling is certainly full of politics, hidden rules and adgendas. I also belong to a Sailing forum, which is strangely exactly the same.

Me? I am a slightly over weight, slightly middle aged guy, new to road cycling. I have mountain biked to a small degree for 20 years or so. I have completed the C2C and the Great North Bike Ride, on an MTB, but I have decided that to increase my mileage and get more out of the sport of cycling that I would join the roadies. I still have an MTB, but do not enjoy it as much as the road bike.
I bought myself a Specialized Roubaix and have just started using it. I have a load of MTB kit, but on the road bike I wear plain black (lycra) and my (MTB) SPD pedals. The more I read on these forums, the more I feel that I fall into one of the most (seemingly) hated categories of cyclist. Looked down on by the purists and laughed at by those who have been cycling for ages on their trusty steel framed Dave Yates bikes.
So, what are the rules? How do I elevate myself from being a noob to one of the gang? Should I even give a to$$?

In seriousness, I am really pleased with my bike, I feel like I have a new lease of life. I am getting fitter and less over weight. (Although no younger)
Any tips on how not to be such an obvious noob would be good. For example, is a Camelbak allowed or not? Should I have bottle cages instead? Why is there even an issue with dust caps?
Cheers. :?

Comments

• danowat
    danowat Posts: 2,877
    Don't give a toss, do what you want to do, why should it even matter what someone else thinks?
  • schweiz
    schweiz Posts: 1,644
    There are no rules. Just ride!
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    That's right, don't give a toss. Do it cos you want to do it. There are no rules. And ENJOY!
  • If others don't like what your doing that's their problem. Get out and enjoy it.

FYI here are the rules http://www.velominati.com/the-rules/ it always astonishes me that some people get very irate about what is supposed to be a bit of fun.

Re the camelbak, once you've tried bottles you'll probably ditch the camelbak, I find it much more comfortable to let the bike carry the weight
    You've no won the Big Cup since 1902!
  • Yup, the camelbak's the only obvious faux pas - and that because the things give me a horrible sweaty back if I ride with one for more than a few minutes. The rest - who cares what other people think?
    They use their cars as shopping baskets; they use their cars as overcoats.
  • I think I fall into much the same category as you. Long-time MTBer, more recent road rider. It does seem the road 'tribe' is a bit harder to join in with at first. But as others have already said, you should just do what you want. Use a Camelbak if you like it. I use MTB shoes, lots of people do. Having entered my first few sportives this year, and initially worrying about what people might think of me, I quickly noticed that no-one, face-to-face, gives a flying hoot about what you are wearing/riding etc. and if they do, then they are in the minority, not you.

Don't be put off and just enjoy your riding, then you'll 'fit in' naturally, I think.

Never thought of using my Camelbak on my road bike, not sure why, just doesn't feel right. I hate the sweaty back anyway and resisted buying one for years, only wore it because seatpacks and bottles tend to go pinging off into the undergrowth on a mountain bike ride. No such problem with roads which is probably why you don't see them as much.
  • Welcome to the road! Some roadies can be a bit frosty, aloof or condescending, but I think most people on a bike nowadays see anyone else on two wheels as part of a brethren. I'm a MAMIL too, having returned to cycling late in 2010 after a layoff of over 10years. I've just joined a club, and am riding with 'proper' riders again for the first time in 18 years, and doing my first competitive event since the 1990's in just over a week. I'm pleased to say that club riders today are so much more friendly, welcoming and supportive than they were when I was part of the club scene before. Maybe that's just my club (VC10), but people do generally seem a bit friendlier. Back in the 90s I really noticed a difference in attitude between the MTB and Road scene - at MTB events people would come and chat because I had a nice bike, whereas when I'd meet for the local chaingang, alot of people were hostile because I had an expensive road bike (?) as I hadn't 'earnt' the right to ride it through years of club riding and getting results (although I did of course pay for it by having a job, and sacrificing other things to pay for my passion!).

Wear a yellow jersey, buy a bike from Halfords, do whatever you want and stuff the bike snobs. As long as you don't ride like a kn0b (as opposed to noob - everyone has to start somewhere) and p1ss people off by being selfish or reckless, you can be proud of being a cyclist.
  • crescent
    crescent Posts: 1,201
    I find that I agree with several of 'the rules' but only in so far as they align with my personal tastes and not because I feel I should conform or get out of cycling. For instance I like my bike to be fairly minimalist and prefer to carry things in my pockets but am happy to wear MTB shoes and cleats because they are preferable for mobility. Don't understand the dust cap idea, I can't see the problem with having dust caps as opposed to the 'pro' method of leaving them off.
    The Velominati rules are tongue in cheek and mildly amusing, nothing more, nothing less. If you find yourself cycling with people who adhere to them all then find new cycling buddies I think.
    Enjoy, whatever you choose.
    Bianchi ImpulsoBMC Teammachine SLR02 01Trek Domane AL3“When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. “ ~H.G. Wells Edit - "Unless it's a BMX"
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    Pah - ignore those who tell you you're doing it wrong ... but just listen to those who suggest alternatives - as you might find the alternative better than your kit/method ..

I use the SPDs on the road bike - the Shimano shoes are excellent - really solid soles and even after an 80mile ride I don't get hotspots - the main plus side is that they have grips that protect the cleat and make it more comfortable to walk - so on a recent holiday we were able to cycle to a town and have a walk around ...

Camelpack - I can see why MTB use camel packs - few places to store bottles and you don't really want to take your hands off the bars! But Camelpack = sweaty back - I know because I ride with a camelpack rucksack to work (drinks in the bottle) ... riding with no backpack is luxury!

Dust caps? I'd get the flashing LED ones - they look Soooooo coool ... ;)
  • Re the Camelback, I am not long back from 2 weeks cycling in the Alps and one of the surprises was the number of road cyclists using camelbacks rather than water bottles. I wonder if it was the long climbs-48km from Bourg st maurice to say the col d,iseran-that made them popular, not having to stop to get to a bottle?

Aside from that, i found there is a lot of good advice on these forums, but also a lot of tosh typed out re style, appropiate attire and that. Tis the internet after all. Just enjoy.
  • meursault
    meursault Posts: 1,433
    thecrofter wrote:
    If others don't like what your doing that's their problem. Get out and enjoy it.

FYI here are the rules http://www.velominati.com/the-rules/ it always astonishes me that some people get very irate about what is supposed to be a bit of fun.

Re the camelbak, once you've tried bottles you'll probably ditch the camelbak, I find it much more comfortable to let the bike carry the weight

I also read the Velominati site and love it. The thing with the rules there is, it's all about the journey. The path to enlightenment or full rule compliance. I bought my Boardman second hand from a YJA at work. I am in the process of getting it up to rule speed. As you say, it's all tongue in cheek.

The only rule that matters, is ride your bike.
    Superstition sets the whole world in flames; philosophy quenches them.

Voltaire
  • wheezee
    wheezee Posts: 461
    Magaz97 wrote:
    (Although no younger)

This will come. It's merely a matter of time on the bike. I lost about five years in the first fortnight, and even now I can still push back the odd six months if I'm making the effort.
  • if you ride with an open mind, then all things will be open to you,and vice versa, i ride in sandals(shimano)- they suit me and are comfortable, no worries with wet, sweaty feet, and can walk miles in them-- camelbaks are not very practical for the reasons given, superfluous may be the way to put it. There will always be odd people on bikes,for many years it was a sign of oddness, but they are mostly harmless !! enjoy your bike !!