Cheap jump frame + good forks

pimpedupmonkey
pimpedupmonkey Posts: 13
edited June 2018 in MTB buying advice
HI there i used to ride downhill many many years ago when people used hardtails for downhill and wore lycra.

i am wanting to get back into downhill after nearly 15 years out and dont want to jump straight onto a £1k+ rig. so i am thinking about getting a jump bike to get the feel back of riding a bike on local bmx tracks and a new trail just built directly across the road from my house next to the sheffild ski village.

now here is my question is a cheap jump bike say the x-rated mesh from halfords upgraded to a pair or DJ3's just as good as a specialized p1 running the same fork honestly no snobbery here please im not going to be doing any hardcore jumping just mainly cursing smooth single track and bmx tracks i already know a p1 would be lighter but i can put up with a few more KG's for a few hundred pounds saving as the bike is only to see if i still get a buzz out of blasting the trails.

Comments

• in short in terms of frames are both just as snappable as each other??
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    The Mesh weighs an absolute ton - but is tough because it.
  • "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Trek Session 8
  • Check out the CRC (http://www.chainreactioncycles.com) sales - they have some very nice looking, heavily discounted jump oriented bikes - Nukeproof Snap, DMR 898, Giant STP 1, DMR Drone Reptoid, Commencal Absolut - all good for what you want I'd suggest and sensibly priced (though exactly how much I cant tell - they come up in Canadian for me and I cant be bothered to check what they are in GBP)

(Like Fleix said while I was typing!)
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • :lol:
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Trek Session 8
  • I like the look of the Brave Machine 404 but its a bit over budget for a bike to see if i stil like mtbing as much as i did when i was 16/17.

you see the wifes put her foot down with a budget of £300 each for me and both of my boys to get new bikes and if i stick with it till next year she wont mind me getting a £1k+ bike as long as "I" pay for it cash and not put it on "our" credit card lol

thats why i was looking at a x-rated mesh and a set of DJ3's with a plan of thrashing the life out of it till next summer then replacing it
  • Sounds like a plan - there's def plenty of used DJ3's knocking around

Or what about just hitting the classifieds for a whole bike?..there's sh1t loads of good looking jump bikes for less than £300 on Pinkbike
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Trek Session 8
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Buy them a nasty Apollo each for £50 which leaves you £800 for yourself.
    If they don't like it stick them in the cupboard under the stairs for a week or so. They'll come round.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Or buy a 900 quid Nukeproof Snap and "share" it with the kids........
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.

• Or what about just hitting the classifieds for a whole bike?..there's sh1t loads of good looking jump bikes for less than £300 on Pinkbike

thanks for pointing me towards pinkbike totally forgot about that site even though my mate got a bike off there just last week lol

seen a few most need spare parts but looking talking to a guy whos selling up comes with a spare tires, wheels and a full spare set of hydraulic disks, bargain.
  • :D
    cooldad wrote:
    Buy them a nasty Apollo each for £50 which leaves you £800 for yourself.
    If they don't like it stick them in the cupboard under the stairs for a week or so. They'll come round.
    Thanks got a laugh..been feeling out myself complete noob to custem building just won a x rated for 20 local collect ebay. Going to strip for some parts and either weigh in frame or give to local frame chairty..
  • steve_sordy
    steve_sordy Posts: 2,449
    HI there i used to ride downhill many many years ago when people used hardtails for downhill and wore lycra.

i am wanting to get back into downhill after nearly 15 years out and dont want to jump straight onto a £1k+ rig. so i am thinking about getting a jump bike to get the feel back of riding a bike on local bmx tracks and a new trail just built directly across the road from my house next to the sheffild ski village.

now here is my question is a cheap jump bike say the x-rated mesh from halfords upgraded to a pair or DJ3's just as good as a specialized p1 running the same fork honestly no snobbery here please im not going to be doing any hardcore jumping just mainly cursing smooth single track and bmx tracks i already know a p1 would be lighter but i can put up with a few more KG's for a few hundred pounds saving as the bike is only to see if i still get a buzz out of blasting the trails.

Just been reading through your post and I can't help noticing the conflicts in there.
      "Riding downhill" and "wanting to get back into downhill" "not doing any hardcore jumping, just cursing (cruising?) smooth single track and bmx tracks "blasting the trails"

Your bike choices that you name clearly point to dirt jumping bikes, so I'm assuming that is the style of bike you have in mind, and to which the other posters have responded. But a DJ bike will not be best suited to any of the above except bmx. I agree that you can ride pretty much any bike anywhere, but I have tried riding a DJ bike around a trail centre and I was really glad to swap back after only half a mile. :shock:

I bumped into a small group at my local trail centre yesterday. All but two had hired hardtails and were pleased with them, the other two had DJ bikes which they brought to give the DJ park a hammering. But they now had five miles of trails to ride and they looked knackered. Despite them looking cool, I did not envy them.
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    You do know that you are replying to a 6-year old post, don’t you?
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • steve_sordy
    steve_sordy Posts: 2,449
    JBA wrote:
    You do know that you are replying to a 6-year old post, don’t you?

No I didn't. My bad! :oops:
    I clicked on "new posts" and it picked up the one by Foriousbikes that was a recent post. From that I read the OP without realising how old it was. I'm new to this site and I haven't got fully into whereabouts to look automatically. "New posts" really ought to mean new posts