cracked lcd on touch screen phone.

specialeyes
specialeyes Posts: 542
edited September 2012 in The hub
Has anyone cracked a touch screen phone and managed to repair it?

My HTC Desire hd has crack (middle left side to bottom right corner) wasn't too bad at first but green goo has started to seep out and is spreading.

Looking at this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/110660199272? ... 1423.l2649

Wondered if anyone had used something like it with positive results. My contract is up at the end of this month so I could upgrade but I'd like to pass this phone onto my mum.

Cheers!

Comments

• Rigga
    Rigga Posts: 939
    Just depends how easy it is to take the phone apart. Have a go see if you can get the old screen out, if you can it will only be a plug on a ribbon cable and a few screws, you will probably need a torx screwdriver. I changed the screen on a sony phone i had and it was very easy, i managed to find a step by step guide on tinterweb.
  • havent dont the tyouch screen on the phone, but done the screen on the wife's BB bold after the big daughter dropped it, they are mostly just Tiny little Torx screws, quite a lot of the replacement screens come with the tools,
    have a quick google on 'dismantling htc desire hd' and see how tricky they say??
    have had the tablet apart and put in a bigger card for the memory, touch screen on that was just a ribbon cable as mentioned, i'd guess the goo coming out is the Liquid segment of the LCD??

you can get screens for around £20 on ebay, let me know how you get on as one of the wife's cousins daughters dropped her htc and smashed the screen, there not keen on taking it apart, if is simple like most phones i'll grab a screen and swap em over! ;-)
    Timmo.
    After all, I am Cornish!
    http://cornwallmtb.kk5.org/
    Cotic Soul, The bike of Legends!:wink: Yes, I Am a bike tart!
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... 1#16297481
  • I tried replacing the screen and touchscreen sensor (digitizer) on my phone - but it needs to be heated to melt the glue that bonds the digitizer to the screen.
    I messed it up and ended up killing the screen too - so I got it done on insurance instead.

Some phones are easy enough, some others, not so!
  • I tried replacing the screen and touchscreen sensor (digitizer) on my phone - but it needs to be heated to melt the glue that bonds the digitizer to the screen.
    I messed it up and ended up killing the screen too - so I got it done on insurance instead.

Some phones are easy enough, some others, not so!

This is the kind of thing I was worried about. I think I might just give it a go though but wait till the end of the month so if I screw it up I can just upgrade, or maybe downgrade to something more suitable to a warehouse environment.
    Funny thing is, I must have dropped it dozens of time all over the warehouse from varying heights without a problem, then I sit down in my office and it slips out of my pocket and cracks. :roll:
  • I'ce changed the screen on my N95 and Motorola Defy. Swapped out the scratched digitizer as well. It isn't hard but if you don't put the digitizer in right or it traps dirt / gets scratched, you'll get an unresponsive section on your touchscreen. The screens I've ordered have come with the tools for the job.