Turbo trainer advice

boogi11
boogi11 Posts: 354
edited September 2012 in Road beginners
Hi .

With winter around the corner I'm thinking of buying a turbo trainer, I would like to,sit thiamin the living room, so I want something relatively quiet, I want something that offers increasing resistance as well

Would you suggest the roller type, or turbo Rainer type, and any specific recommendations without going crazy on the price

Comments

• pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,102
    Buy rollers. The novelty of turbo trainers and the racket/tyre wear will soon wear off. There is no such thing as a quiet turbo trainer. You''ll end up buying a computer with rear wheel fitting kit and turbo tyres, what a polava.
    There was a thread on here about a bloke selling his turbo trainer on e-bay and in his description he explained how much he hated the thing. very funny - pity you missed it.
    Gizmodo (who I am actively stalking since I got bored of stalking snoopsmydog) is clever with computer stuff - maybe he can find the link for you!
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • Gizmodo
    Gizmodo Posts: 1,928
    Buy rollers. The novelty of turbo trainers and the racket/tyre wear will soon wear off. There is no such thing as a quiet turbo trainer. You''ll end up buying a computer with rear wheel fitting kit and turbo tyres, what a polava.
    There was a thread on here about a bloke selling his turbo trainer on e-bay and in his description he explained how much he hated the thing. very funny - pity you missed it.
    Gizmodo (who I am actively stalking since I got bored of stalking snoopsmydog) is clever with computer stuff - maybe he can find the link for you!
    I know exactly the thread you're on about, but I can't remember the wording he used to describe his device of torture - but it was very funny! :D
  • haf1zur
    haf1zur Posts: 124
    Wouldn't a exercise bike do the same thing?
  • I tried rollers a few years back and found them very hard to balance on. Try before you buy!
    1998 Kona Cindercone in singlespeed commute spec
    2013 Cannondale Caadx 1x10
    2004 Giant TCR
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    And you can simulate a hill with a turbo but not with rollers. :wink:
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • thefd
    thefd Posts: 1,021
    Gizmodo wrote:
    I know exactly the thread you're on about, but I can't remember the wording he used to describe his device of torture - but it was very funny! :D
    Here you go :wink:
    2017 - Caadx
    2016 - Cervelo R3
    2013 - R872
    2010 - Spesh Tarmac