Preferred Transmission Setup

2»

Comments

• lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    1x10 on both bikes, went 2x9 with a big 12-36 cassette and 38/24 rings first, and found I wasn't really using the small chainring much, plus the HD get dropping the chain, so went 1x10 and haven't looked back, plenty of gears except for stupid steep stuff, never lost a chain and its pretty quiet and maintenance free too. And for doubters out there I'm very happy to report my 10 speed stuff has been just as reliable, if not more so than any other gearing I've used in the past, top notch stuff it really is.
  • schmako
    schmako Posts: 1,982
    Trololo maybe i should have said fr instead of dh. Of course i'm not gonna use the first chainring on the way down. I must be an idiot to enjoy 2x9 on my DH bike so it isn't completely useless on any uphill. Also, when having the 1xwhatever setup, I was merely making the point that it will be shite to go uphill.

MEH
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    edited September 2012
    I've got 3x9 on both my MTBs, I think I've only used the granny ring once so I could probably do away with it, I don't feel the need for more and more cogs at the back. My Dad is an old school cyclist and I remember him moaning at me for wanting a 8spd cassette on my road bike "You'll never need all those" Now Campag have got 11 spd cassettes...
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    My commuter is 21-speed :mrgreen: TBH the middle and little rings have never been used, should probably do something about that.
    Uncompromising extremist