Where to tour in Spain

tommyfelt
tommyfelt Posts: 90
edited September 2012 in Tour & expedition
I'm planning a month long tour next year around Europe and plan on spend at least 4 or 5 days in Spain. Has anyone toured around Spain before, and if so which areas are worth incorporating into my route?

Thanks

Comments

• lc1981
    lc1981 Posts: 820
    Do some of the climbs from this year's Vuelta!
  • I was thinking that! After the look on Cataldo's face at the end of yesterday I think that one has to be done!
  • 4to 5 days in Spain. I take it you will be entering from France and returning and won't be visiting Portugal? The time you have will limit you to the Basque country, Navarra, Aragon, Zaragoza, Lleida or Catalunya. Depends where you cross the Pyrenees.
    The more you spend - the faster you go - the less you see.
  • Hi Megilleland, i'll be using the train for parts of the trip to skip out areas that aren't so interesting. In your opinion where are the countries highlights?
  • MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    The North of Spain is great. It is green, wooded and mountainous with a fabulous coastline, a kind of more spectacular and warmer Cornwall. It can rain and you get occasional storms and mountain weather.
    The Picos de Europas are very pretty, check out tonight's Vuelta for a great climb up to Fuenta De.
    Food is hearty peasant style with spicy stews and the best seafood.
    The Feve local train takes bikes. The cable car at Fuentas De takes bike on the first run of the morning , for a wild ride over the mountains on 4x4 tracks, mostly downhill.
  • andymiller
    andymiller Posts: 2,856
    tommyfelt wrote:
    Hi Megilleland, i'll be using the train for parts of the trip to skip out areas that aren't so interesting. In your opinion where are the countries highlights?

The trains in Spain are fine for local/intra-regional journeys but very problematic for long-distance journeys with a bike.

4-5 days? Well maybe you could go over the Pyrenees and come back again by another route. Worth doing, but if you only have a month maybe it might be better to prioritise and get to know just one country rather than trying to tour Europe in a month.