Are my bars to narrow?

welsh_14
welsh_14 Posts: 259
edited September 2012 in MTB buying advice
I currently have Race Face Evolve XC bars which I believe are 660mm in width. I have noticed that I am riding with my hands on the very ends of the bars usually on the metal part of my lock on grips, edge of my palm right on the very edge of the bars.. This got me wondering whether they are actually too narrow, or is this where my hands should be?! Your thoughts would be appreciated as I have been thinking of investing in some that are a bit wider, what difference would this have to handling and would these then move my hands in to the "correct" position?

Comments

• benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    That position occurs quite naturally, because you look for alternative positions just to ease the pressure. That said, 660 might be a bit narrow, but it depends on both you (size etc.) and what & how you ride. Try moving your grips out a 1/2 inch or so (trust me, it will work ok - the grips have a plastic sheath in side them). RIde like this and see if you prefer it.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • Cheers for that will give it a go. Its not so much an alternative position but the default position where my hands always are, which is why I wondered if they are too narrow.
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    Those bars are pretty narrow by todays standards, I'm running 750mm on both my downhill and XC rigs and it's perfect for me.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Bar width is very personal, I'm quite happy on 620mm, however if you are riding as you say you are then yes, I'd suggest trying wider bars.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    Bar and stem has to be 740 x 50 to get 7/10 in mbr
  • .blitz I had better get a new stem as well then but if that only gets me 7/10 how wide do you need to go to get 8,9 or 10?! :lol:

Thanks guys I'll try and get a cheapish set of bars to test out a wider setup and see if its more comfortable. I know its a very personal choice as you have said but it helps if based on my hand position you think its to narrow.
  • "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • ...they're 715mm
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Trek Session 8
  • Thanks felix! Just ordered a set of them and through Quidco got 3% cashback as well!

Went for the silver ones, will have to see what they look like on the bike and swap for the black ones if they dont go!
  • welsh_14 wrote:
    Thanks felix! Just ordered a set of them and through Quidco got 3% cashback as well!

Went for the silver ones, will have to see what they look like on the bike and swap for the black ones if they dont go!

They look like this;
    DSC_0948.JPG

8)
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Trek Session 8
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    welsh_14 wrote:
    how wide do you need to go to get 8,9 or 10?! :lol:
    8 9 10 reserved for Orange Fives :)
  • Looks good! Well they have already been dispatched so hopefully turn up tomorrow! Good quick service by Merlin.

.blitz looks like I'll never see those dizzy heights! Wouldn't go near an Orange 5. :D