Another mountain biking newbie in need of a bike..

chris7789
chris7789 Posts: 2
edited September 2012 in MTB buying advice
Hi, I Have been looking around for a budget mountain bike, am a recently graduated student so have got to put a limit on the spend, but also want something thats going to last a bit of road riding, but also some 'light' off-roading around the surrey downs..

I have looked at the following
Specialized hardrock disc @ £350
Specialized hardrock sport disc @ £500
Kona Lanai 2012 @ £350
Decathlon Rockrider 5.3 2012 @£300

In terms of spend to quality ratio, taking into account i can get the first three from evans cycles on the highstreet and get after sales servicing from a dedicated bike retailer, which i am guessing with not come with the rockrider ( or maybe servicing will be not be needed?), could i get any advice on what would be my best option. I know that the sport disc comes with better brakes for example, but what i save there i could use on getting some decent accessories/ save for future upgrades, but on the other hand it may be worth just getting the bet specced one for now, hence the spend to quality/ best value decision. Sorry for the novice questions, many thanks for the advice in advance

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Hard to be specific without ESP (or links) but almost certainly the Rockrider.
    And bikes are quite simple - don't need servicing, just a little bit of ongoing TLC.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Again its been said alot before....

But have a look at the Voodoo range at Halfords. Voodoo Bantu @ 399 and the Hoodoo at £529 are very good value for money :)
    2013 Cube Analog
    2011 GT aggressor - For sale
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    By comparison to a Rockrider or Carrera/Voodoo from Halfrds most the named brands are poor value, the Lardrock being especially bad.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • If your willing to spend 500 on a sport disc then you should look at the rockrider 8.1 also.
  • mcnultycop
    mcnultycop Posts: 2,143
    If you are willing to pay £500 you should read the sticky at the top of this section with advice if you are buying a bike for about £500.