Upgrading my road bike brakes...

HungryH
HungryH Posts: 2
edited June 2019 in Road buying advice
Hi All,

I recently picked up an entry level racer bike and I am using it a fair bit, commuting to work and the occasional 30-40 mile weekend trip. Really happy with the bike except for the brakes - had a bit of trouble stopping for traffic lights a few times! I also get serious hand cramps when braking down hill, as I have to pull so hard on the brakes to control my speed.
At present, I have Shimano STI brake levers, with alloy side pull calliper brakes on the bike (there doesn't seem to be a 'brand' as such behind the actual brakes), which I beleive to be as bottom line as brakes come on racers.

I am keen to look at upgrade options for this but need to keep spend to a minimum. I have found a front and rear set of Raleigh Radius Comp Road Brake Calipers that I can get for £25 online including p&p. Alternatively, I can spend about £20 on just a front set of slightly better brakes, which would leave the rear set as they are - anyone know what the best option would be here? From my end, I have no idea what the performance of these upgrade options will be like! Will I be able to get away with a good set of front brakes, or is this just dangerous?

Any tips would be very welcomed!

Comments

• First you should check your current brakes

1) caliper central alignment
    2) pads position with respect to the rim
    3) pads distance to the rim
    4) pads condition and wear

Once that satisfies you and the braking is still insufficient, you can look at "upgrading"... of course going for a budget set is not the best way to start. Brakes are important and it's probably worth spending a bit of money there, rather than on flimsy so called "upgrades" like lighter bits and bops. Shimano 105 calipers are good, reliable and don't break the bank.
    Fitting them yourself? Unless you know what you are doing, I would rather not.

Moral, do the preliminary checks as above and if you "have to" upgrade, then take the plunge and go for a reputable set
    left the forum March 2023
  • As ugo.santalucia says above, check out the list he has put first and see if they can be improved before spending money.
    If they are still rubbish at stopping you, and you cant afford a full set, then i would go with a decent front brake at the very least and leave the rear as it is. Something like this for your money

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=67224

I wouldnt go putting on another cheap pair of calipers only to find they are useless as well, you will only end up paying twice and wishing you had invested more in the first place.
  • colsoop
    colsoop Posts: 217
    I would also make sure the rims are properly cleaned and also the pads. Brake dust and grime accumulates on both surfaces and it does effect your braking ability.
  • Thanks for the tips and advice everyone, especially ugo's checklist. I have made some adjustments and they seem to work better. This is my first modern road bike so I wasn't sure how to set them up to work best. I think the current brakes will be good enough for now but will bear the suggested upgrades in mind. Thanks again.